Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! I have a 2013 JKU w/ a 2.5 lift on 35's with 67k miles.

Front end will pop loudly when turning and then steering will "grab" for a few seconds turning right. Seems to do it mostly when braking to turn. Brakes will vibrate just before it grabs and holds a tight right turn. Then will "pop" back into place. I've had it to a jeep guru mechanic but he can't find anything wrong. He replaced my track bar with a heavy duty adjustable one. That didn't work. Then he replaced all four ball joints. Two rear were frozen and the others were just plain bad. STILL doing the same thing! Can anyone give me an idea what is going on??? I would take it to my dealership which is where purchased the lift kit and tire/wheel pkg (which they installed) BUT mechanic had to tighten my shocks 10 rotations because they were so loose. I DO NOT trust them, plus they're gonna give me the run around like usual!!!

Thanks for any help!!!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
When it grabs, you feel it grab in the steering wheel, right?
What kind of vibration do the brakes give off in this situation? (like ABS? or something different?)
I'm wondering if the brake lines are routed wrong and are catching the steering somehow?

Have you had someone turn the wheel for you while you sit in front of the Jeep and look for the grab?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply!
Yes, I feel it in the steering wheel. Brakes pulsate... (not sure how to answer regarding ABS) similar to when you brake really hard. Just spoke to my mechanic and he said he was told to disconnect the ABS and drive it to see if something may be wrong with that. Otherwise, he's at a loss.
I have had someone sit and turn wheel but I didn't see anything obvious.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
You're welcome! And welcome to the forum!

When you brake normally, the pedal feel is fairly smooth usually. ABS kicks in when the tires lock up (like on ice or during a panic stop on wet pavement) and you feel kind of a grinding/vibrating that pushes back in the brake pedal and the pedal feel gets stiffer momentarily. That's what I mean by ABS kicking in. (anti-lock brake system, in case you didn't know)

Does it ever grab while you're not moving? If you're parked with the engine ON, and you turn the steering wheel all the way left then all the way right, does it ever grab? Or does it ONLY happen when in motion?

Are there any warning lights on the dashboard?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it! Thank you! Based on you description, it very well could have something to do with the ABS. It only does it when in motion! Mechanic said ABS light came on when he changed the track bar but eventually went off. It never came on before I took it to him. It does't come on when it locks up at least I haven't seen it.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
So @aldo90731 also had popping when turning. We crawled underneath and found that his tie rod was hitting his steering stabilizer. Go check underneath and see if your steering stabilizer is all banged up. Post back if it is; I'll have a fix for you.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Any chance you could post a pic of the front end of the Jeep so we can see the steering/track bar/sway bars, etc? Can't hurt to get some more sets of eyes on it!

·
Registered
233 Posts
my TJ did something similar when the swaybar links were going bad. The upper ball was partially popping out of the socket. It would pop out when driving off a curb (backing out of my driveway), and then pop back in when on level ground. It did that for a couple weeks until the balls just stayed completely out of the sockets. The swaybar links in a JK are a little different but might be something to check? maybe it's the ends of your tie rod, drag link, or track bar doing something similar.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts