Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The center section between the two front panels over driver and passenger of my hardtop is leaking. We had a torrential downpour the other day and my cup holders were nearly full of water and when i backed out of the driveway it leaked again front the front right over the radio. What seals need to be replaced, the jeep has 110K miles so its about time for seals and such to be replaced. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
There are literally dozens of threads about both hard top and soft top leaks on this forum. A simple use of the search function will bring up those threads for you to peruse at your leisure. You will get the info you want as well as helpful tips to keep your top/s leak free.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
If your still using the screws on the top back of the freedom panels, try ditching those. And just flipping the latches. Sometimes leaks are caused by overtightening.

·
Registered
263 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are literally dozens of threads about both hard top and soft top leaks on this forum. A simple use of the search function will bring up those threads for you to peruse at your leisure. You will get the info you want as well as helpful tips to keep your top/s leak free.
I did perform a search using said simple search function but nothing came up pertaining to my leaking location. I have never been able to find anything on the search function except a lot of unrelated topics. Thank you for your input.

If your still using the screws on the top back of the freedom panels, try ditching those. And just flipping the latches. Sometimes leaks are caused by overtightening.
Are you talking about the bolts that go through the sound bar?

Try wiping or spraying the seals with a bit of silicone to help them seat better and rejuvenate the rubber.
This is a thread over in the tech forum that has a really good guide for finding and fixing leaks.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/jk-water-leak-diagnose-and-repair-manual-705042.html
Thanks for the tips. I found the leak guide and i think i will go down the line and replace those seals. Thanks again guys

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Sounds like an easy fix to me if you are getting the water between the 2 freedom panels. Are you sliding the freedom panels into place? That could cause a seal to fold over, maybe that happened. Take the panels off by lifting straight up, then placing straight back down. Don't tighten the sound bar screws too much and see if any of that helps. If not, replace your freedom top seals since your leak is isolated to the center joint of the panels. Good news is you know where to focus your attention.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I figured it would be an easy fix but i just wanted to see if there were any tips to fixing the seals without replacing them. I will make sure to put those panels on straight down next time. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
517 Posts
My freedom panels leaked as well, but the difference was mine were leaking THROUGH the panels. The panels would fill up with water and then drip out the bolt holes for the locking clips.

I have not seen a complaint like this before so I have not posted a writeup on how I fixed it. If you have this issue let me know and I will write something up.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Screws to tighten the panels

When I got my jkuhr last month it took me a while to remove the freedom panels because of the leak issues. The first thing I did when I finally was ready to take the top panels off was to count how many turns it took to back out and take off the bolts. I counted 15 and a half turns on both. So now when I put them back on I only use 15 complete turns. No leaks so far. Try that along with not sliding the panels into place.

Hope this helps!

Steve

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a leak on both driver and passenger sides from some type of water pooling on a mild incline. Water comes down from top onto floor and it is driving me nuts. Have sent it to the shop and cannot figure it out. It is not from the hard top so we are stumped. Taking it back to the shop and putting it on the slight incline as I feel its the pooling effect. Will update if anyone has any interest!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts