Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the wrangler world so please bare with me. I recently purchased a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, which is my daily driver. I drive mostly highway and back roads. I do very little off-roading. I hate the factory rake and want a more aggressive look without losing handling or gas mileage. After reading through several threads I think my best option would be a leveling kit and 33 inch tires. Possibly Duratrec's? I would also like to change to black wheels, which I would need to do anyway unless I add spacers to my existing wheels. Anyone running a similar setup? Pics? Am I even on the right track? If not, please put me on the right track. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Bulid

I spent many days studying all the builds on this website. Try and find one with same jeep model and color to what you have..LOTS of excellent ones !!
Choose what you like from each one and go for it.
Good Luck !!

·
Registered
320 Posts
I added the Tereflex leveling kit and that alone gave my JKU a new look. Next is new 17" wheels on 33's.
I also added Rugged Ridge taillight guards, AntennaX antenna, Mopar bumper light bar (lights en route) Mopar gas cap, tinted windows, grill inserts, and cube lights to the A-Pillars.

IMO those mod's helped personalize & gave my rig an aggressive look.
Just can't wait for tires/wheels.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm running the TF leveling kit and 33" BFG K02s. I also have 1.5" spacers to give the Jeep a wider stance. I think it looks great and still drives like a stock Jeep.

*edit* I still have the stock 17s that come on the Sport. At least until I can find some Rubicon take-offs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What color is your Wrangler?

Also tell us your budget and I could whip something up for you.

Personally, I got a WW edition which looks aggressive with black gloss factory wheels and black gloss grill. I've seen this imitated well on other JKU Sports, where you can plastidip or use bedliner (obviously not for the wheels, just grill) for an even more aggressive look, and save that money for some serious upgrades you're going to want next in the long run. You could also get an Angry Bird/Wild Boar/Spartan grill depending on your budget. There's some cool ones on eBay, at different price levels too. Depends on what your style in Jeeps is. I personally like the stock look but blacked out for an aggressive look.

Saw a 2 door JK with blacked out grill AND hood, snorkel too! Badass look for sure.

Wider stance is my next goal too, let me know what options you're considering with the spacers. I'm in need of new tires, not sure if I'll get wheel spacers or new wheels with less backspace....

·
Registered
181 Posts
If you want aggressive without going to 35" tires...then I would suggest going with 33" tires on 16" wheels instead of 17". 33s on 17" look...wimpy. But on 16s they look just right.

285/75r16 on 16" wheels:

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
Two things to keep in mind. Your stock tires should be 32" so 33" won't be a big change for clearance. Watch the width, the wider the tire, the worse you fuel mileage will get. That can be a concern on a DD.

GY Duratrac LT285/75R16s are 33.1 inches tall, (your current tire should be a hair over 32) and 11.2 inches wide versus your stock tire being about 10.0. So the new wheel would need to move the center out about a 1/2".

·
Registered
181 Posts
stock suspension?
Currently and in that pic, yes. But I've got a couple spots of melted fender to remind me I need at least a little bit of lift on it to get more out of the suspension travel. I'm thinking a 1.5-2.5 lift would look about right.

·
Registered
663 Posts
This is just an opinion but for me the biggest visual impact is wheels and tyres. The stock setup is quite a narrow track. Aftermarket wheel and 285/70r17 tyres make a big difference (although I'm a fan of keeping everything under the fender flares personally).
1" levelling spacer up front will take the rake out and let you keep everything else completely stock assuming you want to keep costs down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Currently and in that pic, yes. But I've got a couple spots of melted fender to remind me I need at least a little bit of lift on it to get more out of the suspension travel. I'm thinking a 1.5-2.5 lift would look about right.
What kind of wheels and backspace?

·
Super Moderator
11,541 Posts
I actually went from 285/70-17 tires down to narrower 34x10.5. I like the new stance better and the improved ride.

Before

Now

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
32" duratracs and 1" leveling puck up front

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
277 Posts
I hate the factory rake and want a more aggressive look without losing handling or gas mileage.
Hate to say it but with a truly aggressive looking Jeep you will lose a bit of both.

After reading through several threads I think my best option would be a leveling kit and 33 inch tires. Possibly Duratrec's?
IMO there is nothing aggressive about a leveling kit and ever so slightly larger tires. There's a lot of practical benefits, but couldn't say an aggressive look is one. However I think that would be a good model tire choice for you. Fairly aggressive look for a popular AT tire.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I wanted a combination of things out of my build...
- High quality parts
- Warranty coverage
- Aggressive look
- Off road durability (mostly trails, logging roads, mountains)
- Comfortable for town driving or road trips

So far I did...

Mopar "2-inch" lift.
17" Fuel wheels.
35" A/T tires.
Steel front bumper.
LED headlights and A-pillar.
Light brow (mixed feelings about it)
Smoked fender lights and turns.
AntennaX.
Grab handles.
and a few others...

I feel it looks mildly aggressive while still quite functional.

(bottom pics without a couple of the new mods)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts