Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I've been digging through posts/threads, but still not finding solid "how-to's" on cleaning my Jeep's engine bay. I think I'm good on products to use, but as far as what exactly needs to be covered (aside from air intake), how much water is really okay to hit the engine with (that won't cause misfire, etc.), and any other tips or links to specific threads - would be incredibly helpful!

I have a '14 JK Sahara that has never had the engine bay cleaned before, so I'm looking to deep clean and maintain from this point on.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
380 Posts
1. go to car wash
2. open hood
3. insert coin and select soap
4. spray the heck out of everything
5. rinse
6. close hood
7. drive home

·
Premium Member
3,718 Posts
Using a high pressure washer in a modern engine with all the electronics is not a good idea IMO.

Do this instead:

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
1. go to car wash
2. open hood
3. insert coin and select soap
4. spray the heck out of everything
5. rinse
6. close hood
7. drive home

2.5 Place plastic bag around, tightly, the air intake opening. :D

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
i just cleaned my engine bay for the first time since i have had my jeep, so three years or mud and grime buildup. used some purple power, let it sit for a bit and used a pressure washer to rinse it off. engine bay came out pretty dang clean!

Reactions: Mc1123 and mriv

·
Registered
76 Posts
Scrubbing bubbles for cleaning bathroom works great

·
Registered
60 Posts
Simple Green works great. Spray on before you start to wash the Jeep. When done washing the Jeep spray it off. No need for high pressure water. Cheap and effective.
Simple Green has always been my go to for cleaning the engine bay on my vehicles. And it is supposedly environment friendly, though some of the gunk it allows you to hose off might not be.

·
Premium Member
6,270 Posts
Simple Green works great. Spray on before you start to wash the Jeep. When done washing the Jeep spray it off. No need for high pressure water. Cheap and effective.

Agreed, that’s what I do. And the engine bay is spotless.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I use a product called Sonax...excellent product. Very gentle on all metals. I use every 6 months.Simply spray, ligjtly agitate and rinse with a fine mist. My engine has 165k on it.

Attachments

Reactions: mriv

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Well, after powerwashing my engine bay, my horn doesnt work anymore. So if your spraying in the engine bay, watch out for that. Im just going to upgrade to an air horn.

Reactions: Mc1123

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Here is another vote for Simple Green. It dissolves grease very well and the cleaners are not too harsh on the parts under the hood. I have used it to clean other vehicles before with great results. Spray it, let it sit for a little bit, spray it again, let it sit then hose it off well before the Simple Green dries.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts