Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for you all, I just bought a 97 jeep wrangler from my friend that moved out of state, it has a 6.5'' long arm lift 37'' tire's and much more, it is super wobbly at all speeds but from 20-45 its kinda scary he told me I need to down grade the tire's to a 33'' but other people have said it's the long arm lift or your front end is trashed what do you all think...

thanks a million

·
Registered
373 Posts
You will definitely get more help in the tj section but depending on the wobble It could be something easy. I'd check for unbalanced tires or wheel alignment then check the steering components for play

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I don't think smaller tires will help, I'd get it to a good 4wd shop. A bunch of lift and a lot of tire, combined with what could be a lot of miles (nearly 20 YO Jeep), there could be numerous things wore out and not setup right.

·
Retired Moderator
100,487 Posts
I moved your Thread to the TJ Tech Forum.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,381 Posts
First, can you take a couple good sharp well-lit (use a flash!) photos of the steering system and post them here? Especially of the entire tie-rod and drag link area, the Pitman arm from the side, and the driver's side of the track bar mount.

Have you had the front-end aligned yet? Proper toe-in and caster angles are critical to steering stability on the highway.

Finally, exactly (!) what tire pressure is inside your 37" tires? Overinflated tires can also cause instability on the road.

My bet is we can go a long way toward helping figure out what the issue is once you have answered all of those questions.

Finally, if your axles are what came in the TJ from the factory, they're not up to long-term health so long as those 37" tires are installed. Do you know what axles are installed? The front is likely a Dana 30, the rear axle is likely either a Dana 35 or a Dana 44. Hopefully a Dana 44 and not the Dana 35. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,896 Posts
its probably just worn components or in need of some adjustment, but what axles are you running?

any pics or more info on the lift, steering, axles, etc

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I believe everything is stock on the jeep ie the axle's, breaks, he put 4.56 gears in it those are going to be changed , im sorry I really don't know a lot about jeeps I took some pic's let me know if they are helpful.

Attachments

·
Knows a couple things...
49,381 Posts
No wonder, the previous owner installed a kludge steering system with horrific geometry which will make the steering horrible. Replace it with a Currie Currectlync HD Steering kit and replace that dropped Pitman arm with the OE factory Pitman arm. Doing that plus setting the toe-in and caster angles should dramatically improve how it steers and drives.

·
Registered
321 Posts
What the hell is that in the center of the axle? I'm trying not to think that is some half ass attempt at a 4 link set up, but that's what it looks like. This means there is likely no track bar... Pleas stay off the road until this mess is repairs correctly. I know you didn't build it so I'm not bashing you, just trying to keep you and others from getting hurt.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,381 Posts
What the hell is that in the center of the axle? I'm trying not to think that is some half ass attempt at a 4 link set up, but that's what it looks like. This means there is likely no track bar... Pleas stay off the road until this mess is repairs correctly. I know you didn't build it so I'm not bashing you, just trying to keep you and others from getting hurt.
Oh dang I didn't notice that before, that's just icing on the kludge cake. :eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's not what not I wanted to hear but I will definitely keep it off the road, im going to take it to my mechanic tomorrow to look at it, I will put more pic up shortly.

·
Registered
321 Posts
As long as he understands TJ front end parts and geometry, you'll be ok..if he works on ricers all day he will likely have no clue...good luck

·
Registered
321 Posts
Oh dang I didn't notice that before, that's just icing on the kludge cake. :eek:
Yup...look at the second pic and the track bar bracket...no TB present.

Theres a lot of work needed there.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts