Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK so I had a blast this weekend doing a 40 mile trail run but I've got a couple issues now. I plan on giving her a good scrubbing and going to the dealership and playing dumb, I just want to get everyone's thoughts first.
1) my ECS light (the one that looks like a car driving on bacon) is continually on and is solid. I have disconnected the battery and waited then reconnected it and drove it about 100 miles and it is still on. Also since this started my cruise control doesn't work. Any ideas?

2) I hit a hidden stump with my passenger front tire and heard a pretty loud pop. I got under and nothing is broken and everything is still tight. But the steering wheel is now cocked to the 10 oclock position. It does not pull at all. If you let your hands off the wheel, the car drives perfectly straight. It's just like the steering got knocked off center. Any ideas here?

Here is a pic of both the ECS and the steering wheel. This is with the Jeep pointed straight. Any help would be appreciated. As I said, I am going to wash it good first then go to the dealership, I just wanted some ideas first.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
My guess would be that because your steering wheel is off its telling the computer to activate the electronic stability control. ESC will not allow you to use the cruise control because the computer thinks your in an unstable situation. I'm surprised you havnt noticed a loss in power as well. I would take a nice long look at the steering components in the front make sure nothing is broken. Then if all seems ok you can do a search for centering the steering wheel. This may fix your problem. I am guessing, I've only owned my jk a few months. But it makes since in my head (this of coarse means nothing)

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
OK so I had a blast this weekend doing a 40 mile trail run but I've got a couple issues now. I plan on giving her a good scrubbing and going to the dealership and playing dumb, I just want to get everyone's thoughts first.
1) my ECS light (the one that looks like a car driving on bacon) is continually on and is solid. I have disconnected the battery and waited then reconnected it and drove it about 100 miles and it is still on. Also since this started my cruise control doesn't work. Any ideas?

2) I hit a hidden stump with my passenger front tire and heard a pretty loud pop. I got under and nothing is broken and everything is still tight. But the steering wheel is now cocked to the 10 oclock position. It does not pull at all. If you let your hands off the wheel, the car drives perfectly straight. It's just like the steering got knocked off center. Any ideas here?
Here is a pic of both the ECS and the steering wheel. This is with the Jeep pointed straight. Any help would be appreciated. As I said, I am going to wash it good first then go to the dealership, I just wanted some ideas first.
I would guess that something got bent and pulled the steering wheel off center, causing the ESC systemto activate. Be ready for dealer to not warranty this. But then again, he may be cool with it

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
You need to center your steering wheel which is fairly straight forward to do yourself. There's a sensor that the Jeep uses to sense steering wheel location so with it off center like that your Jeep thinks you're in a skid and tries to correct using the ESC, hence the light. You may also notice your ABS going off if you brake.

The dealership will probably ask what you hit because steering wheels don't just knock themselves off center. I hit a curb/pedestrian median in my old TJ which did the same thing so there's a plausible backstory.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
My guess would be that because your steering wheel is off its telling the computer to activate the electronic stability control. ESC will not allow you to use the cruise control because the computer thinks your in an unstable situation. I'm surprised you havnt noticed a loss in power as well. I would take a nice long look at the steering components in the front make sure nothing is broken. Then if all seems ok you can do a search for centering the steering wheel. This may fix your problem. I am guessing, I've only owned my jk a few months. But it makes since in my head (this of coarse means nothing)
This makes a lot of sense to me. I'm taking it to a shop that does a lot of steering and tire work for my Jeep club tomorrow before I take it to the dealership just to get their thoughts. No loss of power at all with the issue. I drove back 3 hours from the trail with no issues at all. I'm looking at this as a chance to upgrade anything broken or bent so if its bent, not too worried about warranty work. I've had it two months of I plan on exploring what a JKU with the D30 is actually capable of. Trusses, C's and sleeves are next after this gets sorted.

But it was worth it for these views and not seeing anyone not with our group for the 2 days it took to do the trail.

Attachments

·
Registered
907 Posts
Sounds like you might have rainbowed your drag link. Definitely check out steering components.....

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
crawl underneath it, look at your drag link. If you rainbowed it just buy an aftermarket one. If it isn't take a 15mm wrench and or socket and loosen the two nuts. Put some tape at 12 o'clock on the steering wheel. Turn drag link by twisting it until the tape it sitting vertically from 12-6 o'clock. With your wheel cocked that much, your ecs is on and will stay on.

·
Registered
554 Posts
crawl underneath it, look at your drag link. If you rainbowed it just buy an aftermarket one. If it isn't take a 15mm wrench and or socket and loosen the two nuts. Put some tape at 12 o'clock on the steering wheel. Turn drag link by twisting it until the tape it sitting vertically from 12-6 o'clock. With your wheel cocked that much, your ecs is on and will stay on.
X2 if nothing in the steering is broken then maybe hitting that stump made the drag link slip and needs to be re adjusted

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I don't know why when something like this happens all you hear about is the drag link , I know sometimes it can but more then likely it's the tie rod

Your toe being off will also cause your steering wheel to be off center and the stock tie rod can not take any kind of hit , I think it's weaker then the drag link and more likely to bend or get out of whack

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I don't know why when something like this happens all you hear about is the drag link , I know sometimes it can but more then likely it's the tie rod

Your toe being off will also cause your steering wheel to be off center and the stock tie rod can not take any kind of hit , I think it's weaker then the drag link and more likely to bend or get out of whack
But if its a toe alignment issue wouldn't the vehicle pull one way or another?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I guess that makes sense since I hit the passenger side tire. I'll check it tomorrow. I at least know nothing is broken but I didn't look at the drag link enough to know if it's real bent. Thanks everyone for the tips.

On the plus side, the Toyota open country MT's held up to the impact just fine at 18 PSI. Good to know that 10 ply ride i put up with does actually give you some advantage off road.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
But if its a toe alignment issue wouldn't the vehicle pull one way or another?
You toe being off can effect pulling , steering wheel off center , traction control lights coming on and it all depends on how much it is off

I say this based on the years I was fighting a few issues and learned the tie rod can effect a lot of stuff and even after all that I still have a my stock drag link but all the other issue went away when I beefed up my tie rod

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
He said it was pulling straight that why I assumed its the drag link. Regardless, get under it and look ha

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Should there be movement in my tie rod? I know it's on ball joints but I can twist it 20 degrees. There is no side to side movement in it and the jeep handled fine on the highway for 3 hours.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Should there be movement in my tie rod? I know it's on ball joints but I can twist it 20 degrees. There is no side to side movement in it and the jeep handled fine on the highway for 3 hours.
That is normal.

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
Twisting is normal. Have somebody turn the wheel 9-3. Look for the tie rod ends popping up and down. Position your hands around on the tie rod/drag link, track bar and pitman arm. Listen and feel for any clunking.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts