Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
My guess is it is made by the same company as the top.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
I've been working on a design for one that mounts to the hinges. Here's a concept drawing...

The design uses an existing can tray and a pair of brackets. The brackets can be installed to place the can at a low position or a high position. Some mockups on the workshop floor:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those r some.Cool brackets. I'd love to add Jerry can without the need for a special bumper or tire carrier setup and no permemant alteration yo the vehicles. I love the old school can design, the new plastic ones not so much

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's probably a custom built one, that jeep is the only one that has that rig and only that company and that company isn't selling anything like that.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
'13 JK
4,680 Posts
I'm having this checked out, so see who makes it and if it's available. :)

Thanks !
As a follow up, I'm sorry, we don't have that base for the Gerry can. One of the sales people seems to remember seeing it before, but he doesn't remember who made it. He said it was a two piece, one part for the base, and the strap(s) were separate... if that's any help. :)

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
An observation about the jerry can mount that the O.P. asked to be identified - if you look closely at the photos of it, you'll notice that the spare carrier that's installed with it carries the spare offset to the driver's side of the Jeep, which also allows the jerry can to be mounted further towards the driver's side of the jeep, giving tailgate plenty of room to open without the jerry can hitting the passenger side tail light.

Next are some photos from a thread where someone welded a jerry can carrier to his factory hinges. Notice the jerry can is a lot further to the passenger side of the jeep than the one in the photo above.

Also notice the tailgate is only opened 90-degrees, it isn't opened fully. That's because if it is opened all the way, the jerry can will crush the tail light.

The jerry can mount the OP is asking to be identified is designed to work along with that specific spare carrier so that the jerry can can be mounted further to the driver's side so it doesn't interfere with the tail light.

Mounting a jerry can to the hinges, along with the stock tire carrier can be done, but it requires a stop to prevent the tailgate from opening far enough to crush the tail light.

Just FYI.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah thanks for pointing out that difference for me! I did see the previous thread which was home made which you referenced. I am ok with adding some kind of stop etc, or just being careful with the tailgate. I just don't want to do any serious permenant mods.

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
An observation about the jerry can mount that the O.P. asked to be identified - if you look closely at the photos of it, you'll notice that the spare carrier that's installed with it carries the spare offset to the driver's side of the Jeep, which also allows the jerry can to be mounted further towards the driver's side of the jeep, giving tailgate plenty of room to open without the jerry can hitting the passenger side tail light.

The spare mount is offset to the driver's side, because it opens toward (is hinged on) the driver's side.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Ah thanks for pointing out that difference for me! I did see the previous thread which was home made which you referenced. I am ok with adding some kind of stop etc, or just being careful with the tailgate. I just don't want to do any serious permenant mods.
One option for carrying a jerry can that requires no mods at all and works with the stock JK spare carrier is the one I've got on the back of my LJ:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
any concerns with it weighing too much on the stock carrier? I already have a 33" wheel on there that's about 70lbs with tire.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
any concerns with it weighing too much on the stock carrier? I already have a 33" wheel on there that's about 70lbs with tire.
I've got hundreds of off-road miles and thousands of highway miles on the one on my LJ with no problem; I've got a 32" tire on mine and arguably the TJ factory spare carrier is weaker than the JK spare carrier, so I wouldn't expect any problems.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts