Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. First time poster, and hopefully a soon to be jku owner. My buddy is crawling auctions looking for a slightly used 11 or 12 jku, and a 3.73 gear ratio is a must have for me. He doesn't have access to factory build sheets at these auctions, and he cant seem to locate a plate or tag on the rear diff cover like I have seen suggested by others. Could anyone tell me specifically how he can identify a factory tow option, or just the 3.73 gearing option, by visually inspecting an 11/12 jku? If there is a tag on the diff, where exactly would it be?, front/back/top, etc, or is there perhaps a sticker somewhere else (door frame?) that would specify this?

Thanks in advance, and hopefully I can become more than a lurker around here in the near future!

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
They do not tag them any more. There is no way to check the gear ratio without a build sheet or jacking the axle up and spin the tires. The only bar code on the axle will identify the axle type, not the gearing.

Bob K.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
If it is a 2011, all Rubi's have 4.10's, and all non-Rubi auto's have 3.73's.

If it is a 2012.....well...all manual Rubi's have 4.10....that's about all I can tall you.

·
Registered
858 Posts
If it is a 2011, all Rubi's have 4.10's, and all non-Rubi auto's have 3.73's.

If it is a 2012.....well...all manual Rubi's have 4.10....that's about all I can tall you.
Correct. The 2012 ATX Rubi came with either 3.73 or 4.10. Many who thought they had 4.10 later found out they had 3.73 on the build sheets and were pissed off and pretty much w/o recourse.

OP, go to Jeep.com and register your vehicle, then go to the optional equipment link and you can see the build sheet for your wrangler, including axle gear ratio.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OP, go to Jeep.com and register your vehicle, then go to the optional equipment link and you can see the build sheet for your wrangler, including axle gear ratio.
Problem with that is that it is not my vehicle yet. My buddy is finding me one at auction, and must be able to determine this information in the field before he tries to bid on it. I assume if he has a buddy at a jeep dealership, he could phone in the VIN to them and get this information?

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
That is very helpful, thank you. I'm definitely looking for an auto since my wife will be driving it.

Anyone got additional information on the 2012 automatics?
There is really no way to tell on the 2012 auto's.

Non-Rubi's can have either 3.21's or 3.73's...and Rubi's can have either 3.73's or 4.10's. Tow package won't make a difference neither....

Sorry....

Oh, and don't forget that their is a HUGE difference between 3.73's on a 2011 auto and 3.73's on a 2012 auto. The tranny was completely regeared.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Bottom line, you probably won't be able to tell on a vehicle at auction. While you may have to pay more, your only way to guarantee the Jeep has 3.73 gears is to buy it on a lot where you can check it out before you buy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts