Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a wobble/shake in the front end, when I hit say a pot hole it starts to wobble in the wheels . I originally set out to check the ball joints but I found this. Can some please tell me what this part is? And how to fix it? I'm not 100 % sure but I this this would be a axle shaft bearing? Please see video and help me out.. Thanks in advance..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmKaF3n8xWw

·
Registered
554 Posts
id say start with the unit bearing. but im not 100% sure, ill let someone else chime in that knows more than me.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Go to the top of this Forum, you'll see a tab that says STICKIES. Look up Death Wobble (DW). Have you pulled your axle shaft? How many miles on suspension? You're pointing to the u-joint.
Definitely not death wobble I'm experiencing , and that was kinda my question. Is that called an axle shaft? And would that be the bearing ? I have no clue how many miles on the suspension as we bought it used . And I thought I was pointing at the C looking thing. Not the U joint.. But I could be wrong...Thanks..

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
Definitely not death wobble I'm experiencing , and that was kinda my question. Is that called an axle shaft? And would that be the bearing ? I have no clue how many miles on the suspension as we bought it used . And I thought I was pointing at the C looking thing. Not the U joint.. But I could be wrong...Thanks..
I am not saying you have death wobble. The thread has a lot of information in it regarding what to check when you're starting to get wobble. What you pointed to was the axle shaft yoke the universal joint connects the long and short stub. The C is what surrounds the u-joint. How many miles on the Jeep? image-3294173066.jpg The C. image-2842241936.jpg D30 axle shaft (front) you can see the long side and short side of shaft...connected by a U-joint.

image-1449276730.jpg

Unit bearing

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not saying you have death wobble. The thread has a lot of information in it regarding what to check when you're starting to get wobble. What you pointed to was the axle shaft yoke the universal joint connects the long and short stub. The C is what surrounds the u-joint. How many miles on the Jeep? View attachment 2872441 The C. View attachment 2872449 D30 axle shaft (front) you can see the long side and short side of shaft...connected by a U-joint.

View attachment 2872465

Unit bearing
Jeep has 90,000 and some change on it. Maybe the video wasn't a good video but I'm seeing the movement in the (axle shaft ? the short one that goes into the axle housing? has what looks like a plastic ring gard , I'm seeing the movement right there where that short shaft goes inside the housing. Ive done a lot of work on most of my own vehicles and I can prob. fix this myself but it is my first jeep and I don't know for sure what all these parts are called , if theres a bearing inside where that short shaft goes I'm guessing that's it.. Would it be a axle bearing I guess? That the proper name ? I looked on youtube and couldn't find anything.. Thanks a lot for helping

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jeep has 90,000 and some change on it. Maybe the video wasn't a good video but I'm seeing the movement in the (axle shaft ? the short one that goes into the axle housing? has what looks like a plastic ring gard , I'm seeing the movement right there where that short shaft goes inside the housing. Ive done a lot of work on most of my own vehicles and I can prob. fix this myself but it is my first jeep and I don't know for sure what all these parts are called , if theres a bearing inside where that short shaft goes I'm guessing that's it.. Would it be a axle bearing I guess? That the proper name ? I looked on youtube and couldn't find anything.. Thanks a lot for helping
I was wrong the movement is coming from where the ( LONG ) shaft goes into the housing. Not the short shaft that has the wheel hub. My bad ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts