Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 87 wrangler motors is pretty new has 75 000 miles on it didn;t have any probs but now when i start it it sometimes dies when the motors is cold and then when it runs and even after driving it when the motor is worm the idle is harsh its not high but it like shakes when i drive and give it gas everything is fine just when it sits it has a hard idle sound a lil harsh and makes that car shake also its a lil off balanced i think now if anyone can give me a hit on what it could be i would really be thank full

·
Registered
39 Posts
i have a 87 wrangler motors is pretty new has 75 000 miles on it didn;t have any probs but now when i start it it sometimes dies when the motors is cold and then when it runs and even after driving it when the motor is worm the idle is harsh its not high but it like shakes when i drive and give it gas everything is fine just when it sits it has a hard idle sound a lil harsh and makes that car shake also its a lil off balanced i think now if anyone can give me a hit on what it could be i would really be thank full
Honestly, with what I have been thru, check your serpentine belt and check you pulleys.

I noticed before my belt came off, that the idle changed a bit.

Turns out the belt came off, and my idle pulley was jacked.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Check your plugs.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Mine was doing something similar. Had to stay on the gas to keep it running. It turned out to be the water pump; at idle the engine just didnt have enough power to turn it because it was so hard to turn. It didnt squeal immediately either so that made it harder to find.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Still, i would start with the most simple and work from there. Plugs/wires/distributor...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Even cheaper would be to pull the belt off and see how hard it is to turn the water pump by hand. If it turns easily then you can move on from there. Its a quick, easy, and most of all free step.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
What Engine? If you have the 4.2 and you still have your original carb, that may be the problem. They are junk! Check for vacuum leaks around the carb and everywhere else. Your Jeep has tons of vacuum lines.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts