Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a jk 2016 lifted unlimted with a rough country 4in lift kit it just came with struts and Springs for 35 in toyo rt and 20 in rims so my problem is when I go over a bump or Crack on the road my jeep loses control and follows the cracks even on high speeds it's scary I feel like I want to go back stock please help

·
Commercial Member
1,550 Posts
Can you post which lift and what parts are included?
Many of these 3.5+ kits are not complete to address changes in geometry.
We can only shed light if we know what you started with...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rough country 4in lift kit basic
Lifted coil springs
Track bar drop bracket
Pitman arm
Brake line relocation brackets
Shock relocation brackets
Cam bolts
Hardware
REAR
Lifted coil springs
Extended sway-bar links
Coil correction plates
Track bar drop bracket
Brake line relocation brackets
Hardware
SHOCKS
(4) Performance 2.2 Series

·
Super Moderator
14,559 Posts
Their 3.5 Series II is a much better kit at the same price...

But let's deal with what you have... Have you had an alignment done? Do you know your caster numbers? Who did the install? Do you know for sure that the cam bolts were installed?

My guess is, that you need a set of geometry correction brackets.

AEV Conversions NTH20410AD - AEV Geometry Correction Front Control Arm Brackets for 07-16 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

That will bring your front end geometry back much closer to stock and drastically improve your drive.

Those shocks and springs are known to ride pretty rough...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I did the steering correction alignment and took it to get alignment, I had my friend that works at a tire shop do it, he done lots of truck lifts, and no the place I took it didn't give me the paper but ima go back and demand one

·
Super Moderator
14,559 Posts
Yes I did the steering correction alignment and took it to get alignment, I had my friend that works at a tire shop do it, he done lots of truck lifts, and no the place I took it didn't give me the paper but ima go back and demand one
Yea, you need to know those numbers. It isn't "adjustable" by them, so they often just say it's ok, when it's not.

·
Super Moderator
14,559 Posts
They did say that the front right wheel needs a camber kit cause it is slightly off
We don't worry much about camber unless it's WAY off. Get the sheet and post it... There's a few here on WF that will guide you straight to a much better driving Jeep.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have toyo Mt's and they are pretty stiff, I'm running the pressure down at 28psi and may have to go lower to get a full contact patch on the read.

Did you correct the speedometer? I agree your caster may be off.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hello I have a jk 2016 lifted unlimted with a rough country 4in lift kit it just came with struts and Springs for 35 in toyo rt and 20 in rims so my problem is when I go over a bump or Crack on the road my jeep loses control and follows the cracks even on high speeds it's scary I feel like I want to go back stock please help
Im pretty sure it's the tires. Ever since I switched to my larger/wider tires, my jeep has wanted to follow every uneven road crack and rut. All I have is a TF leveling kit.

·
Super Moderator
14,559 Posts
Im pretty sure it's the tires. Ever since I switched to my larger/wider tires, my jeep has wanted to follow every uneven road crack and rut. All I have is a TF leveling kit.
Do you know what your caster is? I've seen even a leveling kit with low caster.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Crazy question. Have you upgraded the steering damper? Most lift kits don't come with them and the oversized tires don't play well with the stock damper.

·
Registered
354 Posts

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
Crazy question. Have you upgraded the steering damper? Most lift kits don't come with them and the oversized tires don't play well with the stock damper.
The steering damper only masks problems. They are only a safety measure not a solution to the problem.

·
Super Moderator
14,559 Posts
no, haven't checked. I will have to do that
Tires definitely change the handling, but it's always nice to know what your specs are. Shop around for an alignment, since all that can be adjusted is toe, it should be pretty cheap. I get mine here for $60 or less.

The steering damper only masks problems. They are only a safety measure not a solution to the problem.
X2 :thumb:

·
Registered
970 Posts
i did 1.75" pucks on all corners and installed 315 duratracs and a fox ats at the same time....It drives great with no bump steer or flighty feeling....are you saying i could have a problem that the ATS is covering up? Is this a concern i should have

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
i did 1.75" pucks on all corners and installed 315 duratracs and a fox ats at the same time....It drives great with no bump steer or flighty feeling....are you saying i could have a problem that the ATS is covering up? Is this a concern i should have
Just knowing that the damper is not a solution to a problem is important. So if you do have an issue down the road you can look for the root cause.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have the same situation as the OP, but 3.5 Rough Country with 35s on 20s. I might try lowering the tire pressure as it was 35 when I picked it up from the dealer that performed the lift. Very tiring to drive on 2 lane roads trying to keep on road. I recently went over a perfectly good bridge on highway at 70 (the speed limit) and the traction control light came on and disengaged the cruise. Scared the S out of me.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts