Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little background. Its a 99 TJ with 167k. I was on my way home this morning cruising around 58-60 mph and my gauges dropped, check engine light came on, and it died. Not 2 seconds later it gained power, gauges up, and the check engine light went off and I made it home. This has happened before. I planned on doing spark plugs and wires. But I did the wires and was going to start on the plugs but I couldn't find my spark plug socket so I left it and didn't happen again until now.

What should I check? Seems weird that it dies and comes back by itself.

Any help is appreciated!

·
Trail Mom
2,864 Posts
Sounds to me like you have either a loose ground somewhere or possibly a short in your ignition system. It's going to be a fun one to track down.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Spark plugs wouldn't cause the engine to suddenly stall. I'm betting your CPS (crankshaft position sensor) is going bad. The CPS is mounted high up on the driver's side of the transmission bell housing next to where it bolts to the engine and its job is to generate the engine's master timing signal. When it goes bad, the engine will either start stalling or refuse to start.

No guarantee your problem is caused by the CPS but...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts