Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went out this morning and the jeep started i got to 7-11 ran inside came back out and it wouldnt start it had power but i had to clutch start it to get it home. it just wouldnt crank. can anyone please tell me whats wrong??/ thanks

·
Registered
111 Posts
Did you hear the starter hit? Was it actually rolling the motor over or did you hear it spinning like crazy but not making any contact?

·
Registered
513 Posts
If you do a search for the clutch switch it wil tell you and show pictures of it. There is also a bypass you can plug a fuse into and start it up without pushing in the clutch

.1. Locate the Power Distribution Center (PDC) in the
engine compartment. Refer to “Fuse Panel” in Section 7
of this manual.
2. Put a 10 Amp fuse in the PDC cavity (#28) marked as
Clutch Override.

This is what one looks like:Google Image Result for http://images.wrenchead.com/smartpages/partinfo_resize/DUS/C2244.jp

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
He has '97. To bypass the clutch switch on that one you need to put a fuse in the 20 slot in the block behind the glove box. A more common problem is the actuator pin cracks or breaks at the tip.

Here is a link to a photo of the pin & video that might help read posts 3,5,& 6

Actuator pin

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Prior to doing anything else invasive, check to make sure your battery terminals aren't corroded. If they have a bunch of corrosion, that would most likely be where I'd start. That has happened to me before personally and you can do a seach on it too...pretty common.

·
Registered
118 Posts
hosejockey61 said:
Prior to doing anything else invasive, check to make sure your battery terminals aren't corroded. If they have a bunch of corrosion, that would most likely be where I'd start. That has happened to me before personally and you can do a seach on it too...pretty common.
Test your starter first. Run wire from starter to battery. If it cranks,it's not your starter. Check actuator pin in steering column. Last time I did mine,had to buy whole steering column from junkyard. Couldn't buy just the pin. Good luck!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Didn't have any luck with the fuse never thought to.check the terminals will do that tomorrow and let you guys know. Thanks for.all the help

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also my owners manual says to unplug a harness and plug it into something else to bypass the clutch safety I tried that and had no luck. Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The starter is bad. Thanks everyone for the help and advice now for a next question what kind of starter should I buy should I get a remanufactured one or order a mean green starter?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts