Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wrecked a jeep wrangler 1998 in a snow storm, I slid on ice and hit a rock wall going 20-25 mph. Damage we know of is a broken distributer cap, barely bent radiator, it is half a turn out of alignment, brush guard is broke, and one or two minor bends.Also the hood is bent? I was hoping their is no other damage.

What do you think?

images attached

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
Cosmetic damage can be repaired and I've seen worse. Looks like a true working Jeep now. :crash:

Have you inspected for frame damage? That would be my main concern.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeep

We have not inspected for frame damage yet. I am hoping that it is not totaled and will be drivable again.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I'm sure you are bummed about your Jeep. Glad you weren't hurt. Anyone who has never slid on ice, hasn't driven on it much :wavey:

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
jeeps are very fun on ice :) mines gotten a lot worse since i lifted it.. got use to driving on ice tho.. i love it :)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Imagine if you were driving ANY OTHER vehicle. The damage would be 10 fold.

All in all I've see way worse and still not damage the frame but that is your number one concern.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Good body shop can straighten a frame...no big deal. 2 of my YJ's I have had the frames straightened at the shop I work at. Good as new. Big thing is if it has the same grill and hood as the 1997 TJ. If so, they are discontinued and you have to change over to the newer style hood and grill with the hood latch being on the hood and not in the grill like the old YJs. The 1997 has that setup as well, at least my wife's does.

·
Registered
121 Posts
It looks a hair twisted, but nothing to get bent out of shape about. No pun intended btw

Liability only?

I'd get the frame checked by a shop, it appears the the left side of the frame may be pushed down a hair by the pics...could be the radiator support or the frame. Everything kinda ties in to the radiator support, so if it's bent, the rest will be out if line too.

Take it apart yourself. Remove the bumper and fenders, that'll give you a better look at what you're dealing with.

If youre trying to fix it cheap and If your not all that concerned about being perfect, I would just get it straightened and reuse all those panels. Yeh they are a little bent and twisted but with a little elbow grease, you can make them look just fine

·
Registered
196 Posts
That is a total bummer. I know. Wrecked mine on a perfectly clear sunny day but the dumb b!t(h in front of me just stopped on an exit ramp and I rear ended her. $5500 to fix it and it didn't look that bad to me!!! Had to go on a wrecker because of the blown radiator. But, in the long run, if that hadn't happened I wouldn't have bought my second Jeep! Maybe things do happen for a reason.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is a total bummer. I know. Wrecked mine on a perfectly clear sunny day but the dumb b!t(h in front of me just stopped on an exit ramp and I rear ended her. $5500 to fix it and it didn't look that bad to me!!! Had to go on a wrecker because of the blown radiator. But, in the long run, if that hadn't happened I wouldn't have bought my second Jeep! Maybe things do happen for a reason.

What was wrong with your jeep?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Not a whole lot besides the obvious cosmetic stuff. Fog lights, bumper, fender, hood, grill, and all the lights on the passenger side front. Other than that, new radiator and condenser.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts