Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I have a 17 Willys and I opened the gate once with stock tire and wheels no excessive pressure on the tail gate and the check popped out cracked the covers and my tail light so I replaced everything including the check and just normally opened my tail gate and it popped out again do I need new hinges or what’s up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I’ve seen a ton of forums on popping the check back in which I got a whole new one and popped it in the second time but I think I over extended the gate where I need new hinges

·
Registered
604 Posts
I think there is a service bulletin about this. I upgraded to the morryde HD hinges. It’s not that expensive and you definitely won’t be breaking anything. When I upgraded again to the tailgate reinforcement I received additional reinforcement.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think there is a service bulletin about this. I upgraded to the morryde HD hinges. It’s not that expensive and you definitely won’t be breaking anything. When I upgraded again to the tailgate reinforcement I received additional reinforcement.

82214770-M Mopar has this part seems expensive tho

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Yup....stockers are shit.....get the morryde hinges...also you can email or call morryde and they will send you the stops that you bolt in with their hinges and it will stop your tailgate from opening too far....

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Whoever designed that check strap should be fired. After going through 3 or 4 check straps at $70 each, I finally just removed the factory check strap and I replaced it with a cable. If my Jeep was ever parked slightly on an angle tilted towards the passenger side, the weight of the rear gate and spare tire would cause the check strap to pull out, even if I opened the rear gate very carefully. I also changed my hinges to the MoRryde hinges.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whoever designed that check strap should be fired. After going through 3 or 4 check straps at $70 each, I finally just removed the factory check strap and I replaced it with a cable. If my Jeep was ever parked slightly on an angle tilted towards the passenger side, the weight of the rear gate and spare tire would cause the check strap to pull out, even if I opened the rear gate very carefully. I also changed my hinges to the MoRryde hinges.
Yeah man, you need to replace the check strap AND the hinges once it folds over bc when the hinges fail the metal bends and then the check comes out. Really bad design it should be better.... So annoying to deal with

1 - 9 of 9 Posts