Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I posted a similar (albeit older) topic over in the tech forum, but things have gotten worse and wanted to see if anyone else has seen this issue in general.

I bought a brand new "from the factory" JKU Sahara two weeks ago. It has about 500 miles logged at this point. Everything is amazing and I LOVE it with one major caveat: the stock McKinley Leather Trimmed seats in the front have very strange oddities I've never seen like this before.

The passenger front side has two soft dime sized bumps in the "leather rump" location. Some have suggested this might be a natural leather blemish, but I haven't been able to find anyone else with anything like it. It honestly looks like a thick patch job up close.

The driver front side has a white stripe right above the seat height handle in the "Naugahyde" pleather portion of the seat. If I wet it, it disappears, but reappears when dry. In addition, where the seat height handle touches the pleather is also forming a white silhouette (unseen in photo).

Has anyone seen either of these things before? It's a Jeep and it's going to get dinged up, etc., but I'd rather it not show up with issues already. It was pricey and I don't like at all how the leather fronts turned out. I thought about Katzkin but the model they showed at the dealer didn't look as nice as the stock leather seats. Now I'm not so sure I made the right choice.

Any and all comments, recommendations, or help is greatly appreciated. This is really gnawing at me.

Pics are attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
If it really bothers you call customer care and start a case. Notify the dealer, take pictires and E mail them. Have a leather seat guy look at them for his opinion. The sooner the better.

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Back in 2002,yeah,a long time ago. My then 2yr old XJ had something similar going on with the d/s seat,just barely starting on the p/s. They ended up replacing both seat bottoms under warranty,no questions asked. Try to get them to do that now a days.
And I still have the XJ,195k later.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I don't want to sound like a dick, but I can barely see an issue, especially in the first pic. Maybe it looks worse in person.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Get it on record so if it gets worse.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@glowwyrm - Not a dick at all. In the first picture, the bumps are hard to see, but in person the grain is reversed on the two spots and raised up quite a bit. The second pic is pretty clear.

If I had the Jeep for two years and this stuff happened I would be fine. As it is, I had it for 11 days and EVERYTHING is perfect EXCEPT the $1,000 dollar seat upgrade. I could have kept cloth and did Katzkins. It's more of an issue of getting what I paid for at this point.

I might be able to convince myself the bumps are natural leather blemishes... maybe. However, the grain is reversed and it looks like a patch. But the white line on the pleather is just shoddy work. It looks like it wasn't even dyed there.

@ynotajeep - I sent the dealership photos in email today. They said they filed a report with FCA and are awaiting feedback. I wonder if it's better if I call FCA directly. What do you think? They work with a place called Sobe in Boston who does custom seats and mods. I might swing by there and see what they think.

@1jeeplvr - I would LOVE if they replaced the two seat covers. Then this purchase would be restored to perfect. Btw - the Jeep itself has been so much fun. I truly love it. Just hate looking over while I'm driving and seeing those two notchy spots staring back. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would say the white line above the driver's side ejection lever is from dismounting over the bolster, causing that bit of cushion to press down over the lever. I get the same pattern on my Diver Down cover in that same spot.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've seen similar when I worked as a dealer tech in a previous life.

We always just ordered a new seat cover and replaced it under warranty.

Wiper blades are a wear item and not covered :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have not seen the issue you have in the first photo. However, I have seen the white mark above the heat handle on my 2017 JKURR, with 4400 miles. I have also seen the white marks in other seats and even in the back and on the headrests. I have narrowed down the source to sunscreen. I notice it most when I pick up my daughter and her friends from the community pool. It seems that wherever they touch I get the white marks, headrests, back seats, sides of seats, even door panels. I think I get it near the seat handle from touching that area with my own hands after applying sunscreen. I have been able to remove it with some leather cleaner wipe. It washes always then reappears when I pick them up again, or I use the sunscreen myself, sometimes in same areas, sometimes not. While I can't say that's the only cause, it seems to happen whenever sunscreen is around. Just an idea, do you routinely apply sunscreen or some skin lotion that may be causing this issue for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts