Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am in the process or replacing the u-joints in my front driveshaft and I ran into a snag. I made a mistake when installing the u joint into the CV yoke and I had to remove it. When pushing it back through it scraped some metal from the bearing bore now the cap does not go back in tight.

This is the part that has the loose bore. It is the one that attaches the two ujoints in the cv joint.

Is there any way to fix the bore? Is it toast! I was thinking of putting a few dimples in it with punch. I assume if I replace it the driveshaft has to be rebalanced?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
first of all, i dont know how that grease fitting will fit onto your TC yoke... tried to fit a ujoint with a grease fitting on the TC yoke, and it wouldnt fit any way with it facing the yoke, and if it was turned into the drive shaft, it would rub, enough to were i broke it off intentional during a rage :)

Second of all... i never had a second plan :whistling:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jherrington said:
first of all, i dont know how that grease fitting will fit onto your TC yoke... tried to fit a ujoint with a grease fitting on the TC yoke, and it wouldnt fit any way with it facing the yoke, and if it was turned into the drive shaft, it would rub, enough to were i broke it off intentional during a rage :)
That is a pic off the web not of my shaft. I have non-greasable u joints. Picture is only to show the part I am referring to.

·
Registered
941 Posts
That image looks suspiciously like it comes from Stu's website. ;)

You will have to point out or circle exactly what you are talking about. I don't know about the other but from your description I cannot understand what exactly you are referring to.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What makes you think that ;-)

The fit is no longer a press in this bore. Snug but I can rotate it. I was thinking I might be able to put some dimples it and may use some loctite.

Attachments

·
Registered
941 Posts
What makes you think that ;-)

The fit is no longer a press in this bore. Snug but I can rotate it. I was thinking I might be able to put some dimples it and may use some loctite.
I cannot imagine how you managed that but it should not be a problem as far as I am concerned. Can it still turn around inside when the retainer clip is installed? Surely the cap itself can rotate much easier on the ujoint itself? I suppose you could put some Loctite in there for piece of
mind.

Did you try turning the ujoint around to determine if the issue is not perhaps with the cap itself?

·
Commercial Member
3,962 Posts
A couple of very small mig welder "tacks" inside the bore will work. Then just die grind them until they are nearly gone and it should be good, if its not the cap itself. That's what I do, but I am a metal fabricator so its no big deal for me

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
If you cannot turn it by hand... and you need vice grips or channel locks to turn it, it will be fine. If you want.... apply wicking compound to the cap lock it in.

as long as there is NO PLAY, you are good to go.

BTW.... that is called the H-Yoke. I have replaced them without a rebalance.... I have gotten lucky.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts