Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Aka Vaultzz
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm going freaking crazy!

while off roading last weekend I went "Ice skating" with my Jeep. and it stalled on the ice. I restarted it and drove up the hill and came to a stop... and it stalled again. I made it through to lunch by zip tiring the throttle at 2000rpm since the screw was all the way in and it still wouldn't run. (now all morning it was running perfect)

Now I've been trying to get it to work all week, recently I replaced the fuel filter and now it idles fine (with the idle screw set at 1200rpm).

Now heres the part thats ******* me off... It drives fine, theres no vacuum leaks, no gas leaks, and its getting plenty of air. Every time I come to a stop and take it out of gear it dies... If I start it, let it idle, then hit the brakes while not moving then nothing happens, is just jeeps running. It only dies after its been driving :banghead:

I've exhausted my knowledge so I need help :( please?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
my 89 did the same. up hill and washboards were the worst. i finally changed the carb. i was told this is common with carburated older jeeps.

·
Aka Vaultzz
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:eek: you rock!

I thought gas was supposed to drip while idling :rofl:

·
Aka Vaultzz
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the same problem in a CJ with the Carter on it. If I remember correctly the 89 had about the same setup when I bought it so this might help. Easy Fix for Jeep 258 Carter BBD Idle Problem
:D :D :D YOU ARE AWESOME! I just followed that page, sprayed the crap out of everything and basicly flooded the carb with carb cleaner (to the point where it wouldn't start for 5 cranks :rofl:)

When I started it up it was quieter and smoother. When I took it out on the road it ran like a champ, no stalling, no sputtering, increased brake power, and more general power! :punk:

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
Thats cool :cool:...... I'm glad it worked for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts