Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there, looking at purchasing a new wrangler, and came upon some pretty solid deals. The main purpose of this jeep will be some light off roading and daily driving, not a whole bunch of rocks in my area, so Id really like it to handle snow as a major obstacle.

The two choices I have are a JKU sport almost loaded, with a 3.21 ratio, however its missing the limited slip diff, and the side airbags.

The other choice is have is a JKU rubicon for about 4k more, with a 3.7 ratio, also missing the side airbags, and correct me if im wrong but they dont have the limited slip diff?

Im torn what I should choose due to my intended use of light offroading, I feel like id be wasting the potential of the rubi. Im also wondering if the sport would be better on the highway considering its slightly lower profile, also I have some slight fears on the limited slip and the airbags, are they truly that big of a deal? Another question is I seem to come across lots of windshield crack threads and leaks, just how common is this with everyday use if one is sensible and stays away from the back of Semis? Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
970 Posts
if dealing with snow i would look into a non rubi with LSD...the lockers can only be used in 4 low...research lockers and see if that sounds like you ll need them. Im in the midwest and chose a model with 373 and LSD and when i feel like i can bare beating the shit out of my 50k jeep ,thats when i might add a front locker. If you need lockers youre going to get some damage in the process

·
Registered
5 Posts
We just bought the Rubi last week....in Colorado cracked windshields are the norm....most of the rubi's are 4.10 I think....."LIGHT Wheeling" chuckle chuckle that's what a lot us said initially....now the college/retirement funds are going to jeep parts...

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
sport

To me for what you said the intended usage is: it seems like the sport is the better option. The sport is dern capable as is, especially for what you're planning to use it for. The locking diff can be useful in certain situations but for 4K??? Don't forget you can always add to the Sport later on and buy only what you find that you need. The 3.21 will be a bit better on highway such as gas mileage and running a bit higher speeds but would be worse if you ever wanted to run big tires. Again, the gearing is something that can be changed down the road, if you ever decided to get bigger wheels/tires.

As far as the windshield, from what I've read, it seems pretty common. In fact, my windshield already has a crack in it, with less than 1,500 miles on my Jeep. When I saw it I was like" really???; already????" I guess it comes with the territory of a nearly vertical windshield.

Hello there, looking at purchasing a new wrangler, and came upon some pretty solid deals. The main purpose of this jeep will be some light off roading and daily driving, not a whole bunch of rocks in my area, so Id really like it to handle snow as a major obstacle.

The two choices I have are a JKU sport almost loaded, with a 3.21 ratio, however its missing the limited slip diff, and the side airbags.

The other choice is have is a JKU rubicon for about 4k more, with a 3.7 ratio, also missing the side airbags, and correct me if im wrong but they dont have the limited slip diff?

Im torn what I should choose due to my intended use of light offroading, I feel like id be wasting the potential of the rubi. Im also wondering if the sport would be better on the highway considering its slightly lower profile, also I have some slight fears on the limited slip and the airbags, are they truly that big of a deal? Another question is I seem to come across lots of windshield crack threads and leaks, just how common is this with everyday use if one is sensible and stays away from the back of Semis? Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The Rubicon adds Dana 44 front axle, electric lockers in both ends, electronic sway bar disconnects and better off road tires. On the road not locked, the lockers act as open diffs, which is the best of both worlds.

If you decide to add the HD front axle, gears and 2 lockers later, well you do the math.

If you go sport, go with the 3.73 gears at the very least. Your gas mileage won't suffer. You'll still get a Dana 44 rear and Dana 30 front axle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmm i see, sadly for the good prices i only have a choice between the two, cant get them re geared or order a custom, otherwise the price jumps up another 5k at least.

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Warning: Your new Jeep will change your life!

You will find yourself going off-road more than you imagined.

You will find the most flimsy excuse to drive it more.

You will find yourself drooling over a 4 Wheel Parts or Quadratec catalog.

You will achieve a $0.04 savings balance.

You will be Jeepwned.

I have foreseen it.

It is your destiny!

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
hmm i see, sadly for the good prices i only have a choice between the two, cant get them re geared or order a custom, otherwise the price jumps up another 5k at least.
I planned to spend no more than $30k.

Then I planned to spend no more than $35K

Then I planned to spend no more than $40K

In the end I realized a certain wisdom of picking out the Jeep I would be most happy with and then sucking up big time and tightening the belt a few notches, I dumped the money it would really take to get what I truly wanted.

And I was happy.

You won't be doing this every day, so plan it out and then save up for what you want and get it.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Very difficult for us to tell you what you need, or better said, WANT :)

Only you can decide... and after all, it's not like you're choosing between your two children -

it's just a car :hide::atomic:

·
Registered
409 Posts
Lot's of good advice here. I'll add that I wanted side air bags (a no brainer when it comes to added safety for me at least). Hard to find a Wrangler with side airbags/6 speed on a dealer lot - so I ordered my 2014 JKUR-X manual transmission exactly the way I wanted to. Yes, I've gotten windshield hits, one chip that was fixed and another crack that hasn't gotten big yet (we'll see what winter does to it) in 40,000 no mechanical issues/fun miles.

See ya on the Trail!!!

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I'd go with the rubicon, but I'm biased.

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
I bought a Rubicon, but peeled the stickers off. Once I get some cloth seat covers only I and experienced Jeepers will know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts