Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a used pickup. Looking in the 25K range. Need a full rear seat and at this point a 1/2 ton. The choices out there are the Ram, Chevy/GMC, Toyota. The Fords seem to be a bit over priced. Give me some pros and cons please.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Trucks

I am currently driving a 2012 Hemi Ram, at 120K miles I am hearing a little engine noise. The best truck I have owned was a Toyota Tundra...well until I walked out to the garage one day to go to work and noticed the bed was rotting away. I traded it in in on a Ford that gave me nothing but trouble.
From my experience I will stick with the Rams.

·
Super Moderator
10,264 Posts
I bought a 2004 F-150 in 2014 with 150K miles for $10K. Extra cab long bed XLT. I've put about 50K miles on it. I've put brakes, a tie rod end, cam phasers and two sets of tires (first set when I first bought it and second set last fall).
I put new plugs when I first got it and had no difficulty pulling the old plugs.
I do an oil/filter twice a year and wash/vac as necessary. My YJ is my daily, I use the pickup when I need a truck.

They're all good with each one having it's own warts. The best pickup I ever owned was a 1990 Toyota SR5 Xtra Cab 4X4 that I bought new.

For a used pickup, I'd search Craigslist by owner in the price range that you want to pay. IMHO, Condition and past maintenance is more important than brand when dealing with gas motor pickups.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had a day off, took a few used trucks and a new one for a ride today.

First was the Ram with the Hemi. I really liked it. 15,000 miles on it for 26k, double cab. Smooth ride. As a long time Mopar guy, this is what I expected. Next was a Gladiator, was at my Jeep store anyway, why not. Probably not gonna go this route but was curious. Drove a Sport S model with the Hard top. The step in height felt the same as our JKUR with the 2" Rancho lift. The ride and power were a HUGE improvement over our lowly 2010 JKUR. I really liked this rig too. 43K though is ridiculous.

Went to a different dealer and drove a 2017 Tacoma Sport, double cab, long bed. 27K. Absolutely hated it. Felt slow and cheap.

Drove to a GMC dealer by me, drove a used Canyon, 30,000 miles, 27K, liked it, too small. Last I drove a 2014 GMC 1500 Siera SLT. 40,000 miles, 27K WOW! 5.3 motor, double cab, standard bed. REALLY liked this rig. ALOT! Leather, all the bells and whistles. Drove great.

All trucks were of course 4x4.

Wanna hunt down an F-150 I think and a Chevy 1500 caught my eye about 40 minutes north of me.

Nice to not be in a rush to have to buy something ASAP. The hunt sometimes is more enjoyable.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Try out a Raptor and you will love it! Best ride over rough roads and terrain on the market. I love mine, and it’s never been in the shop. 2014 6.2 supercharged with 17K miles and the 600 HP is nice.

·
Super Moderator
62,305 Posts
The Tundra is known for reliability. Toyota tends to use older tech too and the MPG's are horrible. I guess it just depends on how long you plan to keep the truck. I drive my vehicles for years, so reliability is a top priority. I also don't care much for electronics and all the "techy" stuff or MPG's :D. So I'd consider a Tundra if I needed a full-size truck.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
I drive a 17 f250 now, but in 2015 I found a 2011 f250 w/6.2 for the price you are looking for. The rear seats are huge in the super duty.

I tow my Jeep with mine so it may be more than you need. I also wfh so no commute to speak of.

I think Ford trucks offer the best capability when used as a truck and are just okay when used as a family vehicle. I started out with an f150 in 2002 and have stayed with Ford trucks ever since.

The newer f150s are nice and you can likely find a gently used one for your budget.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
I have a '14 F150 Supercrew 4x4 with the 5.0 and have been very happy with it (have had it 3 years and paid $25k). Prior to that I had an '06 crew cab Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 with the 5.3. Was very happy with that truck until I hit 150,000 miles then the bed was rusting out and various sensors were going out every month or two. My (frequent) repair bills were almost as much as a payment on a newer truck so I upgraded. Both trucks pulled our JK on a trailer with no problems. There is a LOT more room in the F150 to haul our 4 kids around. I'm at 105,000 on the Ford without too many issues (water pump and transmission cooler lines).

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK. I found a 2018 Tundra, 34,000 miles, 4x4 with the 4.6, auto trans., double cab for 27K by me. The only thing I don't like is the color, it's black. While my Challenger is black it's a garage queen. Black is a PIA to keep looking decent, let alone good on a daily driver. For this price though I'd get it if it drives good and looks as good as the pictures. Anyone have one of these rigs? Likes/Dislikes? Price good? The car fax was clean too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts