Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice on which one of these Jeeps to purchase. I have two that I considering but cannot choose. Both are from private sellers and are asking 8-8.5k

1988 YJ:
Completely restored from the frame up
Rebuilt engine
5-speed manual
New American cast iron transmission
135k on the chassis but only 2k on the drivetrain
Comes with a lift and suspension but I don't know specifics
Includes extra bumper and "goodies" (not specified)
Pretty sure it has 33 inch tires
Backstory: An older gentleman had it professionally restored but doesn't use it. Absolutely PRISTINE condition.

1998 TJ:
Rebuilt and transmission (217k before rebuild, only several thousand after)
Automatic 4.0L engine
Dana 44 rear axle
New Skyjacker shocks
New 33 inch tires
Unknown lift
Hard top and Soft top
Half and full doors
Several other small fixes such as new spark plugs, transfer case bushing fix, AC compressor
Backstory: Husband needs to sell to get more family oriented vehicle

Other things to consider is that I will be in Denver (I read that could cause issues with emissions testing or the carb on the YJ). Also, the YJ is in Chicago with my brother and would need to be transported (not a big hassle but still a hassle).

Appreciate any advice you guys have that will help me choose. This is my first Jeep and as always thank you for your help. Also going to post this same post over in the YJ forum to see what those guys have to say too.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Crap, I forgot to mention that this will be my daily driver to and from grad school (only about 5 miles each way) and used to explore light trails in Colorado.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I would lean toward the TJ. I'm very familiar with the tj series and it is 10 years younger. Also, I would make sure it would pass where you live. That question alone would cause me to stay away from the YJ.

That TJ has the up graded axle, both versions of the top and doors, and a very good transmission(historically). Offer him $7k and see where it goes.

Oh yeah, take a flash light and inspect the under side from bumper to bumper. If you see fresh paint, beware, may be a rust cover up. Check inside the frame. Especially look up around the gas tank...

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Both sound nice. I don't have anything against YJs but for a daily driver a TJ is a vast improvement over a YJ. High altitude won't cause problems with the carb. It's changing altitude that does. The computer on fuel injected vehicles will adjust itself to the density of the air. A carb has to be manually adjusted.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Agree with the above. I'd go for the TJ, because real jeeps have round headlights. :tomatoes:

As a DD (even if it's only 5 miles), you might enjoy the automatic and even more so on Colorado trails, but that depends on who you are. Both my DD JKU and my TJ are manuals however.

Plus the 44 axle in the TJ, both sets of doors sounds good to me. I want to get half doors for mine, or at least tube doors. The dual tops sounds fine, but not something that would sway me.

The YJ is probably in much better condition after the restore, so you'd really have to take a look at the TJ and see how the frame and tub looks.

And there's the carb versus FI as mentioned.

·
Registered
15,661 Posts
We have a 92 YJ 4.0 auto AC almost 200K miles no sig issues and a 98 TJ sport and an 04 Rubi

Personally I am done with carbs

But any 91-2004 4.0 wrangler with no sig rust is a good find (of course watching for 2000-2001 cracked head)

As a daily driver I would want hardtop and full doors

If you had the time I would get the YJ and convert it to FI from a 92-95 XJ or YJ

Around here once 35 years old, vehicle is emissions exempt so only another 5 or 6 years on the 88

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
"New american cast iron transmission"... something stinks here....
Maybe new venture ie nv 3550 but not cast iron..... generally a "back story" of almost any sort stinks

No way I'd pay that much for a yj myself... no way I'd buy something without putting my hands on every inch of it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
On the other hand . . . these are as good as 20 and 30 years old and there is far less to go wrong on the YJ! I believe the TJ will have airbags and other 'modern' accoutrements, and from my short term Jeep ownership, and membership on here, it seems that electronics are not amongst Jeep's strong points. I occasionally browse the JK tech section and all their problems seem to involve electrics - seats, radios, lights, etc.

And I was told that the YJ was the last real Jeep, having four cart springs :)

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Neither, buy a small car like a older Camry & drive it until you get done with school. Older jeeps are not good vehicles to own if you don't have the time, money & facilities to take care of them. Just normal DD'ing these things can challenging.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Looking for some advice on which one of these Jeeps to purchase. I have two that I considering but cannot choose. Both are from private sellers and are asking 8-8.5k

1988 YJ:
Completely restored from the frame up
Rebuilt engine
5-speed manual
New American cast iron transmission
135k on the chassis but only 2k on the drivetrain
Comes with a lift and suspension but I don't know specifics
Includes extra bumper and "goodies" (not specified)
Pretty sure it has 33 inch tires
Backstory: An older gentleman had it professionally restored but doesn't use it. Absolutely PRISTINE condition.

1998 TJ:
Rebuilt and transmission (217k before rebuild, only several thousand after)
Automatic 4.0L engine
Dana 44 rear axle
New Skyjacker shocks
New 33 inch tires
Unknown lift
Hard top and Soft top
Half and full doors
Several other small fixes such as new spark plugs, transfer case bushing fix, AC compressor
Backstory: Husband needs to sell to get more family oriented vehicle

Other things to consider is that I will be in Denver (I read that could cause issues with emissions testing or the carb on the YJ). Also, the YJ is in Chicago with my brother and would need to be transported (not a big hassle but still a hassle).

Appreciate any advice you guys have that will help me choose. This is my first Jeep and as always thank you for your help. Also going to post this same post over in the YJ forum to see what those guys have to say too.
I have owned both. I'd have say TJ. If for nothing else than the fuel injection. 88 yj has carburetor. I love my 91yj with fuel injection. Living in Arizona I really needed AC so i bought the tj. We all start out only doing easy trails. Then begin the adventure harder trails and modifications to keep. You'll be happy with 99th.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have owned both. I'd have say TJ. If for nothing else than the fuel injection. 88 yj has carburetor. I love my 91yj with fuel injection. Living in Arizona I really needed AC so i bought the tj. We all start out only doing easy trails. Then begin the adventure harder trails and modifications to keep. You'll be happy with 99th.

I hate spell check that last word is TJ.

·
Super Moderator
62,805 Posts
Neither, buy a small car like a older Camry & drive it until you get done with school. Older jeeps are not good vehicles to own if you don't have the time, money & facilities to take care of them. Just normal DD'ing these things can challenging.
I DD mine. I'm at 203K. I've replaced the A/C and head(along with other small maint/parts), I don't think that's too much to ask for the miles I've put on it. Mine is a Southern Jeep with no rust though.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Another vote for the TJ. I personally think it is the best generation. Lots of them out this way and the local forum here is really great with helping each other out and organizing trail runs.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Bass,

I love my TJ ... so much so that when my frame rusted through ... I swapped it out with a new frame. Where though is the TJ from? If it is from the northeast, where we use road salt ... don't get it ... frame is likely on the way to rust out.

Doc

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bass,

I love my TJ ... so much so that when my frame rusted through ... I swapped it out with a new frame. Where though is the TJ from? If it is from the northeast, where we use road salt ... don't get it ... frame is likely on the way to rust out.

Doc
The TJ is out inDenver and I'm pretty sure it has been there it's whole life. The seller said there isn't rust and would take a picture for me too but I think I'll save him the trouble and just look under when I test drive it to double check anyways.

Thanks for all the help guys. I decided to go with my gut and your advice and pass on the YJ.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Bass,

Doc
If you truly loved it , you wouldn't drive it during the winter when you know it's going to get eaten alive by salt.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts