Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came here looking for info on used Jeeps. There are so many models that it makes my head spin. What I know about Jeeps you could put on a head of a pin. I have read a number of posts here in the past week and decided that a Wrangler best suits my needs but there may be other models that I have not considered due to my lack of knowledge about the Jeep vehicles.

I'm in my 70's and will not be using a Jeep for general off-road use except as noted below when visiting family members. Mainly it will be used at an RV Park to get around the area.

My needs are to dinghy tow behind a 38ft DP motorhome. The 2 places I regularly visit are family who live up long unmaintained rough dirt roads with large potholes. This has lead me to decide that I need a jeep and not a low clearance vehicle. I plan on adding Blue Ox tow bar and M&G air brake but that is subject to change as I learn more.

What I know I want is a 2 door and hardtop (added later if necessary), air-conditioning, an odometer that does not register towed miles. There may be other things that I don't yet know I want.

With so many choices I need to narrow down where to start. I'd like to know which YR & Model started offering A/C as standard equipment, which YR/Model started offering an odometer that add miles when towing.

There is probably much more but this ought to do for getting me started.

·
Retired Moderator
100,466 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

·
Super Moderator
12,666 Posts
Welcome to the Forum jon48,

Speedos that don't record miles started during the YJ years (1992). Due to the age of YJs I'd recommend something newer.
In most cases, it'll be cheaper to buy a Wrangler with a hard top than buy one with a soft top and add a hard top.
If I were in your position, I'd look for an unmodified vehicle.

You don't state what your budget limitations are.
Wrangler TJs run from 1997-2006. You should be able to find a real nice one for under $12K, depending on the market in your area.
Some TJs will have factory air and some won't.
The TJ guys can tell you more about what to look for. I'm sure they'll tell you to check or have it checked for RUST.

JKs run from 2007- 2018. The Jk guys can tell you more about which ones are preferred.
JLs overlapped 2018 with JKs and are the current Wrangler model.

Then, there's always brand new Wranglers if money isn't a problem.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the Forum jon48,

Speedos that don't record miles started during the YJ years (1992). Due to the age of YJs I'd recommend something newer.
In most cases, it'll be cheaper to buy a Wrangler with a hard top than buy one with a soft top and add a hard top.
If I were in your position, I'd look for an unmodified vehicle.
Thanks. One guy selling a 95 Wrangler for his parents said it had hi miles due to towing behind a motorhome. I read somewhere that electronic speedos are the one's that don't record. The seller had no idea about any of this. I presumed that the electronic speedos came along later.

Based on a few hundred offerings on CraigsList most Wranglers are modified to some extent. At a minimum they have been lifted. My greatest fear is that most have been heavily used offroad and what kind of hidden damage is lurking.

You don't state what your budget limitations are.
Wrangler TJs run from 1997-2006. You should be able to find a real nice one for under $12K, depending on the market in your area.
I left the budget out of it, I'm flexible. Like most folks, I want to pay as little as possible and I also know that is nearly impossible to achieve. I've seen a few offers for <$12K. Most of what I saw offered at that price looked pretty bad. I've checked Kelly Blue Book on some and it seems that most private party offers are in the KBB range of price but I don't recall which model they were. It would be tough (but do-able) to lay down $20K considering my anticipated use.

I've been told the market in my area has a high demand (=higher $$$). I live in an area of arid high desert so offroad use is very high and Wranglers are in demand by High Schoolers and young adults. I'd rather not try to buy one outside of my area because it would mean going out of State. I've bought out of State before and don't care to go through that again.

Some TJs will have factory air and some won't.
The TJ guys can tell you more about what to look for. I'm sure they'll tell you to check or have it checked for RUST.
Good info on the A/C. Thanks.
Rust is mostly not an issue in my area. I gave my son my '96 Suburban and when he sold it 2 yrs ago in Nashville w/ 125K miles on it the mechanic was AMAZED that there was no rust. He bought is even tho the tranny was toast.

JKs run from 2007- 2018. The Jk guys can tell you more about which ones are preferred.
Looks like I should concentrate on JK's but keep an open mind for TJ's. I didn't want to randomly post in model specific forums until I had this part figured out.

THANKS!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also forgot to mention my confusion between Rubicon/Sport/unlimited/X/Sahara.
Hard to compare listings that have different names.

·
Super Moderator
12,666 Posts
Also forgot to mention my confusion between Rubicon/Sport/unlimited/X/Sahara.
Hard to compare listings that have different names.
If you go to the Jeep website and look at the available models you can get a pretty good idea where each model falls in the lineup of price/options, with Rubicon usually at the top of the line.

As far as high miles from being towed behind a motorhome, we hear that from time to time. I'd question that on any Wrangler newer than 1991.
I'm not absolutely certain, but I am pretty sure that statements like that are bogus. Perhaps a more knowledgeable poster will chime in to confirm or refute my statement.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
532 Posts
You hit the nail on the head when you indicated most jeeps in your area are owned by kids. Not all of course but consider what you did as a kid to stuff. A jeep is just a machine like anything else mechanical it has its share of weaknesses and possibly more so than other vehicles thru particular years. Stock sounds best for you and there is a limited supply of them in comparison to modified and abused. Look under the differentials,skid plate,spring hangers for gouges. Look for indications of mud accumulations in nooks and crannies.Look hard for rust issues thru the holes in the frame where you can see. Look for signs of rewelded frames, spring hangers, control arm brackets. Look for non stock wiring that's looks like a rats nest. You can actually learn plenty googling xxxx year jeep wrangler problems and see what that year or model's shortcomings are. Its just a vehicle like any other so mechanics apply the same with regard to wear and tear and miles. Contrary to what some may think Its not an indestructible super vehicle that can be driven off a cliff cause it says Jeep on it and come out unscathed. Depending on your particular needs or decision if it changes to a wagon type vehicle the XJ line of Cherokees are excellent and built well. The ZJ or grand Cherokee I personally would not touch. If you find a soft top only jeep and want a hardtop for it expect to pay $1000 or more for a hard top. I think one of the jeep shops gets $2500 even. If you find something and want to ask specifics about, fire away here and you'll get plenty of answers. Good luck in the hunt, just keep in mind knowledge is power so do your research.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi welcome. I retired, bought a motorhome and my Jeep eight years ago.

I bought a 2011 JK Sport in 2012, one owner, 13000 miles, $17,000, standard transmission, no power options, no AC, 2" Mopar lift, custom wheels and tires. I got a deal I couldn't pass up with full factory extended warranty.

If I were to do it again I would buy the Rubicon/Sahara with more options but still manual and good for off road or street.

I sold the motor home after 3 years of travel and kept the Jeep, it's my buddy now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
8thtimer & SprkEng: Thanks for those tips. I didn't think about looking for welding.

Luckymac mentioned that speedo's that don't record miles started in the early '90's.
Today found an offer on 2005 'X' that has dinghy towing already set up, that is very attractive to me. The vehicle has 125k miles and the owner is not aware of the ability to disconnect the odometer.

So, is the disconnect of odometer in towing an option or require special operation to deactivate? Or is this like in the old days where you simply unscrew the cable from the tranny? Just wondering about this one detail.

I'll be searching for 'gotcha' info on this yr/model but if anyone has any gotcha info I'd appreciate knowing that info.

·
Super Moderator
12,666 Posts
8thtimer mentions a Cherokee.
With a Cherokee (XJ model), you automatically get a hard top, way more room, essentially the same drive train, less chance of an abused rig and usually a lower price because of supply and demand.
Most Cherokees are 4 door, but you might find a two door. Most of them are automatic and many will have factory air.

I had a Cherokee before I got my YJ and it was a great vehicle, off road and on road.
A stock Cherokee will do almost everything a stock Wrangler will do.

Not Grand Cherokee, but Cherokee.

Good luck, L.M.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts