Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very slowly building my jeep by order of importance, but now I'm stuck and can't decide Which mod goes next. I've got my heart set on two options: snorkel, or SPOD for air and lights.

For the snorkel, I REALLY like the look of the K&N, but I can't find any reliable reviews on it. That makes me really nervous. I tend to get concerned when water is at my rock rails. Long way to go from there but the insurance would be nice on my nerves lol.

I only care about the SPOD because I want to run air (Viair heavy duty kit) and some round KC's on my roof rack, and don't know how to wire stuff safely. Wiring up my winch made me nervous. Not sure if blowing $500 for the peace of mind is honestly worth it in the long run.

If I go with the SPOD, it will be another 6 months or so before I can get anything to Use it with.

So what do you think? What's more important: snorkel or down payment on other mods?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
ask your self this, if the deepest water u have been in have been to ur rockers then really you don't need a snorkel. As for the S pod, ur spending 500+ for it to run 2 items on it? you wont get its worth by that as of now.

also u say your afraid of doing electrical but your ok with hacking your hood or your cowl intake for a snorkel? I see you have the hard rock, you really want to hack at that dome hood? you will only devalue your jeep...

look into beefing up your suspension, what kinda lift you have on the jeep? have you upgraded your track bars?

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
If you plan on going into submarine mode then I would get the snorkel. But as Moezer said if you're not going any deeper than the rockers it would be a waste. As for the SPOD there are other cheaper alternatives.
I added a Light bar and some spots to my JKU. I never have wired anything like that in my life. With the amount of information and Help from forum members I wired it up without any issues. Just be patient.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/adding-led-light-bar-do-i-have-everything-1193921.html

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sounds like both options have some value to you.

Like other said if your only going up to your rockers, a snorkel might not be that much more useful. But I'm like you and would think having that insurance or the ability (just in case I were to hit deeper water) would be worth it. You never know what you'll run into miles deep into a trail or if the weather takes a turn and that little puddle suddenly gets a few feet deep.

Also prepare for the worst. I do a lot of hunting and have been caught in a few storms that just flooded washes, small rivers, etc. Having a snorkel definitely would have made crossings much less stressful.

sPOD, depends on what you value "useful". If you dont mind spending the money for a tested and reliable product that will run your lights, air, and winch and has the ability to run another 3-5 more options later then the sPOD is worth it in my opinion. I just ordered mine since its one of the last things I wanted to add to run lights that were not hardwired all time. (After my lift, tires, and suspension upgrades).

Both have there values.

Personally for my use (being in Arizona, most trail runs are at dawn/dusk/night in summer) I would get more use from the sPOD to run lights and onboard air to re-air up after a day on a the trail.

Being summer (depending on your location) water may not be an issue for another few months.

One thing I have learned from Jeep Mods and people who have been in the Industry for many years is that you get what you pay for in most cases. There is always a cheaper option. Buy once, cry once.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the responses and I appreciate the feedback. The reason I start getting nervous about water is because I have dropped my jeep into MUCH deeper holes than I thought and have had water above my front bumper more than once, so my pucker factor tends to go way up in deeper water.

I'm less concerned about cutting because of the specific snorkel I'm looking at, and don't really care about resale value. I'm never selling it!

I have the RE 2.5" coilover kit, which is plenty beefy for my uses. The only other suspension component I may add later is a bigger steering stabilizer. I will definitely add some more armor down the road though.

I've been mulling flats and 37's so if I end up going down that road I'll look into suspension parts again.

If I get the SPOD I'm sure I'll find other things I can stick on it, but a little extra light up front and running air on board would be really nice first. I know if I get sucked down that rabbit hole I might never get around to the snorkel!

That being said, seems like combined wisdom so far is that the snorkel is less useful and perhaps a lower priority than my other wants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts