• Vehicle Year?
  • Do you go off roading?
  • What type of offroading?
    -Rocks
    -Mud
    -Sand
    -Prerunner desert racing
    -Dirt roads (backroads)
  • What size tires would you like to run?
  • What size wheels would you like to run?
  • Will you be regearing?
  • Do you care if you have to cut your Jeep to get as much tire clearance as possible without lifting the vehicle?
  • What is your budget including labor? If you plan to do the install yourself then don’t worry about install cost.
  • Does your significant other have any say in what you do to your Jeep?
  • Do you have any brand preference?
  • Do you know the difference between Dual Rate, Progressive Rate, Single Rate springs? Do not look it up, answer the question.
  • Do you care about a rough ride on the road or flighty steering?
Answer those questions and you will give us tons of info and we will all be better able to help you make a decision.

·
Super Moderator
8,200 Posts
So what would you recommend for me? Answers below. I have a few in mind but lets see if you have something better.

2013 Sport with 3.73
Yes
Rocks mostly
35x12.5
Yes probably 4.88
As I already have 100 holes in it from my Fab Fours rocker armor-no
Budget is whatever I need to spend for quality. I have someones to install the diy-able stuff.
Sort of-since I have no idea what I am doing he has been the one helping and giving me options to pick from
Quality - whatever brand doesnt matter
No idea whatsoever tho I could guess lol
So long as I get from point A to point B not really picky

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you go with a kit,
Currie Enterprises CJ Axle Parts
JK Wrangler 2.5-3.5" Game Changing Long Travel Mid-Arm Suspension System
GenRight offers the best prices and customer service for JK 4 door 4-1/2" Suspension Lift Kit 2012 to be purchased online 24/7.
You will have to get shocks for the currie and genright kits, and your shock choice will depend greatly on how much adjustabilty you would like. If you want lots of adjustability than go with King Bypass shocks, if you want less than any of the higher end 2.0 shocks with a remote reservoir will do. Teraflex has some that are more prerunner type shocks, but people seem to be happy with them in the rocks. Make sure whatever you get you get ones that allow for 11 or 12 inches of travel to take full advantage of the lift kit.
Those of course are my opinions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
- 4 Door
- No, but would like to start doing dirt roads once a month (J.W. Corbett Wildlife Management Area)
- 32.66" Nitto Terra Grapplers
- 18" x 9" Rockstar II XD 811
- No regearing
- No cutting
- Parts + Install = $600 - $800
- Thinking about TerraFlex 2.5" Budget Boost... your thoughts?
- No idea what those springs are
- Primarily will be used on the road, so would prefer to have comfortable ride.

New Jeep owner and trying to learn a lot. Thanks for starting this thread!

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
2014 4 Door JKUR with 4.10
Offroading includes CO and UT- mainly rocks and long long trails, plus dirt roads
Have 35" MTR Kevlars and 17" wheels from the last JK
No regearging, no cutting, no need for a budget
Must have a compliant road ride- I cannot have a harsh truck-like ride.

What do I have?

35" MTR Kevlars
Bilstein 5100s (used them on my last 3" JKR lift)
Front aftermarket DS (if needed)
Longer swaybar links
ROKMEN adjustable control arms (can happily use stock CAs with drop brackets)

I will reuse the wheels/tires but the rest I can sell. Maybe just start me over and I can decide if I keep or sell the stuff I have. The 5100s were a bit stiff on the JKR but should be softer on the JKUR. Next choice- Rancho 9000XLs.

·
Registered
238 Posts
2 Door
Some off-roading
(Sand, dirt roads, some wet/muddy/water conditions)
What size tires/wheels would you like to run? I feel no need to run bigger than stock unless there's a compelling reason to.
Will you be rehearing? No.
Do you care if you have to cut your Jeep to get as much tire clearance as possible without lifting the vehicle? I wouldn't want to do any cutting.
What is your budget including labor? N/A
Does your significant other have any say in what you do to your Jeep? No
Do you have any brand preference? No
Do you know the difference between Dual Rate, Progressive Rate, Single Rate springs? No
Do you care about a rough ride on the road or flighty steering? Rough ride, not really. Flighty steering, kind of.

----------

My question is maybe a simple one, forgive me for asking if it's a stupid question. I want to make mods that improve capability, but I'm not the biggest fan of lifts and huge tires. I like the vehicle at the ride height and characteristics it has now, really.

Will I gain that much more off-road capability from a lift and larger tires? Or could I do just fine seeking other mods, and using more aggressive tires but ones which are not larger than stock?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tyler09, you dont need a lift, what you need is an upgrade to your shocks and springs. If you changed your probably worn out shocks with Bilsteins or Ranchos, you would see a drastic change in the comfort level of your vehicle at all speeds. You could also look for some Rubicon take offs which will give you a bit of a lift. You would save yourself the money on installation since you will probably be able to do four shocks yourself. If you want to make your vehicle a little more comfy off road, disconnect the sway bar when on the dirt. If you have a Rubicon its a quick button push when in 4wd and any of the others, simply unbolt the sway bar, tie it up and drive in 2wd or 4wd with the sway bar disconnected. Instantly more comfortable offroad. You will run into your fender flares when disconnected and completely stuffed though, so be aware.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Colder, Yours is easy. If you would prefer not to get a lift, than dont. Get an MT tire, plenty of Rubicons taking brand new ones off every day. Get body armor, undercarriage skids and a winch and proper bumpers or cut into your stock one and put in a winch plate. With adding the extra weight you will probably lose some height so maybe a slight budget boost at that point.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Don't have my JK yet, but curious if you think I should consider a lift, BB or just leave it stock.

2 Door
Do you go off roading?
-Yes
What type of offroading?
-Trails (light to moderate)
-Dirt roads (backroads)
What size tires would you like to run?
What size wheels would you like to run?
-16"
Will you be regearing?
-3.21 Ideally not but I do plan on putting in Front & Rear Truetracs so I will if needed.
Do you care if you have to cut your Jeep to get as much tire clearance as possible without lifting the vehicle?
- meaning fenders? Yes I will be chopping fenders.
What is your budget including labor? If you plan to do the install yourself then don’t worry about install cost.
- under a grand
Does your significant other have any say in what you do to your Jeep?
- don't think my dog cares :)
Do you have any brand preference?
- Rubicon Express has been recommended to me
Do you know the difference between Dual Rate, Progressive Rate, Single Rate springs? Do not look it up, answer the question.
Yes, I used to race RC cars so very familiar with springs.
Do you care about a rough ride on the road or flighty steering?
- Yes. I don't want to mess with stock geometry or ruin on road handling very much if at all.

Thanks

·
Registered
238 Posts
Colder, Yours is easy. If you would prefer not to get a lift, than dont. Get an MT tire, plenty of Rubicons taking brand new ones off every day. Get body armor, undercarriage skids and a winch and proper bumpers or cut into your stock one and put in a winch plate. With adding the extra weight you will probably lose some height so maybe a slight budget boost at that point.
Thanks man! I appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HK, what about a long arm kit? That would keep the on road experience smoother and more comfortable and allow for plenty of flex when in the rocks. You could also go with the MC 3.5" kit, very smooth ride. I would for sure get a rear antirock swaybar but that may make it a little too smooth on road. By smooth I mean your body roll would increase. I am sure you know better than most what you should get though.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
The long arms means a lot of changes to bracketry and it would be hard to turn back to stock if I decided to trade it. For now, I think I'll stay with a short-arm and see how the 4-door does. It has to be a better ride than the 2-door. I must say that guys rave about the Metalcloak ride.

HK, what about a long arm kit? That would keep the on road experience smoother and more comfortable and allow for plenty of flex when in the rocks. You could also go with the MC 3.5" kit, very smooth ride. I would for sure get a rear antirock swaybar but that may make it a little too smooth on road. By smooth I mean your body roll would increase. I am sure you know better than most what you should get though.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HK, I think that MC's springs are amazing and their control arms do exactly what they claim, which is flex more. If you do not want the shocks than you could of course get maybe the Teraflex Fox shocks which are made more for high speed travel and that should keep you smoother on the road. I regret not getting the anti rock sooner and I would get one with whatever lift I had and if I had a Rubicon I would sell the electric sway bar and replace it with an Anti Rock.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Brodie. Dont get a lift kit, get a Rubicon and be done with it. You will have larger tires than a sport they will be more aggressive. You will have the front sway bar disconnect and lockers front and rear. A Rubicon is a way better way to go for you I think.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I still have the stock bars because I didnt like the feel of the AntiRock equipped JKs that I rode in. When I do get around to redoing my suspension again I will have some made for my specs at almost the same price and they wont be a one size fits all kind of deal. I understand lots of people want to just take something out of the box bolt it up and be done with it, thats just not my cup of tea and there are other options available if you dont want to have to worry about disconnecting.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I've been waiting for my Jeep for to long. It has been ordered for 8 weeks now and I'm still at least 4 more off. That gives me a lot of time to dream about what I want. I have ordered a JKUX. I live in rural Montana and drive in many different conditions. Missouri River Breaks (mud), mountains and a lot of snow. Am I on track to look at an AEV 2" spacer lift. I like the idea of keeping as much of the stock stuff as I can. We are going to put a winch on and I definitely don't want it to sag any more. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've been waiting for my Jeep for to long. It has been ordered for 8 weeks now and I'm still at least 4 more off. That gives me a lot of time to dream about what I want. I have ordered a JKUX. I live in rural Montana and drive in many different conditions. Missouri River Breaks (mud), mountains and a lot of snow. Am I on track to look at an AEV 2" spacer lift. I like the idea of keeping as much of the stock stuff as I can. We are going to put a winch on and I definitely don't want it to sag any more. What do you think?
Answer the questions

·
Registered
409 Posts
*4 Door
*Yes
*Mud, Mountains, Trails, Snow, Daily Driver
*Stock
*Stock
*No Cutting
*No budget
*Wife's Opinion-"Must be cool and look badass"