Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Santa brought me and my TJ some good ish this year 2 of which are in question...my Engo 12k winch and a Smitty Built under seat(rear seat) lock box.

Ok as for the winch, seams pretty straight forward, I understand the electrical parts(I know the ground goes to the battery too) but Im wondering if there is anyting I need to know about mounting and installing. I have a 1997 TJ and a Smitty built SRC (save the SB jokes its here to stay for now). Kinda looks like the bolt holes for the plate are going to line up with the bolt holes for the bumper?? Use those bolts there already or use the ones that came with the plate?(I cant see my jeep right now but now that I think about it maybe those bolts there are from the POs winch plate).

The lock box is even easier obviously but I wanted to ask a question. I like to be extra safe when screwing or drilling into areas that are hard to see. Im going to not mount it under my rear seat (since its in storage and not my jeep). Instead Im going to mount it behind the passeneger side front seat. It will fit fine thats not the issue, and I looked for
my self and it looks clear to screw it in there just wondering if you know off hand if Im going to drill through a wire or line of some sort there.

Thanks in advance for your help !!!

·
Registered
1990 Jeep Wrangler 4.2L
397 Posts
The winch and winch plate should bolt directly to the frame, so the plate should bolt to the winch, then bolt through the the bumper to the frame (using the same holes as you mentioned).

I don't have that specific bumper so it's hard for me to say for sure. Hopefully that answers your question!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply I thought ppl were starting to hate me. I got it all installed pretty easily like you said!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pics? :whistling:
Believe it or not I didnt take any:banghead:, Ill grab some tomorrow(its pitch black out) and toss em up for you. Good call :thumb:.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so here is the pic of the winch. Im also including a pic I have taken to show a problem I think I might have.

Im worried that it seams the line will scrape the lip of the plate rather then roll on the fairlead? Does this look normal? Id have to drill my own holes through the plate to raise the fairlead.

BTW, There is a tire being repaired that has not been picked up yet thats why. I needed it repaired before I wheel on sunday.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Looks good!

I agree on your winch line. Almost looks like something isn't quite lined up correctly. I don't have a winch so maybe someone who does can chime in.

·
Registered
1990 Jeep Wrangler 4.2L
397 Posts
Looks good. Hopefully someone will chime in who has this set up...
I'm not so sure that looks right with the line rubbing, but I doubt it will ever really hurt anything. Might rub the coating off the bumper in that area and need some touch up paint from time to time but can't imagine it would hurt that steel line much.

What do I know tho...I use synthetic cable with a solid aluminum farelead.

edit: is it rubbing on the bumper or is that the winch plate?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Had the same wince. Had to drill holes out a little on the fair lead mount to raise it just a bit. No problems after that. Looks good

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks good. Hopefully someone will chime in who has this set up...
I'm not so sure that looks right with the line rubbing, but I doubt it will ever really hurt anything. Might rub the coating off the bumper in that area and need some touch up paint from time to time but can't imagine it would hurt that steel line much.

What do I know tho...I use synthetic cable with a solid aluminum farelead.

edit: is it rubbing on the bumper or is that the winch plate?
Its rubbing right now on the winch plate. I have yet to give it an initial streatch like Chris told me too(its never been unspooled but its has lost its tension during the install and unboxing) so its hard to say if it will actually rub during use. Im about to find that out now.

Had the same wince. Had to drill holes out a little on the fair lead mount to raise it just a bit. No problems after that. Looks good
I had to drill the holes out a lil just to get the bolts to fit and I did it with a shitty wrong sized drill bit, lol. If I have to drill em out enough to raise the fairlead Im def going to be 1) mad because I have to take the winch off 2) heading to Lowess for a good bit.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Thats not good for the winch cable to rub on the winch plate, It will eventually end up fraying the line and that will make winching a painful process for you. I have the same setup but I went with the raised winch plate. Dont have any pics yet as it is a fairly new install but I can grab some pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats not good for the winch cable to rub on the winch plate, It will eventually end up fraying the line and that will make winching a painful process for you. I have the same setup but I went with the raised winch plate. Dont have any pics yet as it is a fairly new install but I can grab some pics tomorrow.
Im glad you chimed in because I know you have the same bumper and all(I actually just went out and got the parts list you gave me to mount my hi lift like you did). I didnt have a choice with the plate, it was a Xmas gift and she just bought the plate Chris told her to get. Im sure I can make this one work some how tho. Im either going to have to raise the fairlead a lil bit or maybe washers under the winch to raise it a lil and change the angle? I dont know if I like the sound of that tho. Im not going to bother Chris (from Jeepaddons) over the Holiday weekend but Im sure he will have some insight too. I know I cant return this plate because I drilled the holes out for the fairlead and I dont wanna have to buy another one.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Initial test went well. I went to an empty parking lot and pulled my self up hill with my wife at the helm.

There was some rubbing tho when I got close to the end because the spot I was hooked too was lower then the jeep by a decent amount. Problem is usually when winching some one out they are lower then you. Granted I winched in a lot closer then I may pull another vehicle to me tho, so I dont know.

If I can find a decent but and it isnt too bad Ill more then likely have to make those holes big enough to raise the fair lead but its gonna be a bitch.

·
Registered
1990 Jeep Wrangler 4.2L
397 Posts
Keep in mind, if your sunk in the mud, when pulling yourself out the line will be strapped to the bottom of a tree, and as you pull yourself out of the hole your front end will rise (in some cases considerably) as your wheels get back onto dry earth. In that case the line will probably be running along that ridge considerably.

Those pulls are often the ones that put the most strain on your line, depending on how stuck you are....

See my avatar <-- for an example of coming out of a hole. I didnt need to winch in that case, but the line would be sloped downwards if I had needed to.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah this sucks, Im def going to have to do something about this. This will be the 3rd time I have had to take this winch on and off.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
just a few things to consider. not all roller fairleads are equal. An example is that the Warn roller fairleads mounting position is offset differently than a Ramsey fairlead that comes with their winches. I had a similar problem that you are having when I once tried using my warn plate with a ramsey fairlead. I had to trade the ramsey for a warn farelead.

Also, the universal type of mounting plate that you have are usually meant to work with a hawse fairlead which has a narrow opening. I had a similar plate as the one you have now (not exact same but similar) and it worked well with a hawse fairlead.

Here is a photo of my first winch that I had mounted on a universal plate with a hawse.

They stick out front a little more than most other winch plates because they need to clear the sway bar behind the winch. They are also thinner material. My winch in that photo was warped after 5 or so pulls. So I replaced it with a warn plate which is much much heavier, thicker and it also sits back further because it rises above the sway bar rather than pushed forward in front of the sway bar.

So a couple things you can try. First see if the fare lead you have now works better when turned upside down. It may be a simple offset issue.

2nd, try a hawse instead of the roller OR visit a local store to test fit a different brand roller fare lead.

3rd option, and the one I'd probably recommend (especially considering you have the uber maxed out 12k lb winch)... get a stronger winch plate instead of the thin universal one that you have now.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is bad news because of the small budget Im on right now but very helpful info

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wonder if an easier "for now" fix would be to drill new holes into the fairlead rather then raising the holes in the plate.

I dont know if my drill can handle either, lol

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
had a similar problem with a universal warn winch plate and the hawse fairlead that came with my Engo 10000S.. we ended up mounting the fairlead in the 2nd set of holes down (as they actually lined up correctly) drew a line with a sharpie where the winch plate was interfering, and then used a cutoff wheel and grinder to remove the extra material.. then made sure that the cut edge was rounded/cleared of burrs/sharp edges before installing, just to be on the safe side. got it all bolted up and it worked out fine.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Im glad you chimed in because I know you have the same bumper and all(I actually just went out and got the parts list you gave me to mount my hi lift like you did). I didnt have a choice with the plate, it was a Xmas gift and she just bought the plate Chris told her to get. Im sure I can make this one work some how tho. Im either going to have to raise the fairlead a lil bit or maybe washers under the winch to raise it a lil and change the angle? I dont know if I like the sound of that tho. Im not going to bother Chris (from Jeepaddons) over the Holiday weekend but Im sure he will have some insight too. I know I cant return this plate because I drilled the holes out for the fairlead and I dont wanna have to buy another one.
After installing my winch I am going to move my hi-lift to a different location. You cant see the winch now that the hi-lift is there. Sucks to spend so much on an item and cant even see it. Sounds petty but it matters to me. Heres a pic of the winch plate:

I also need to move the lock mechanism to the other side since it will definately get in the way of the line .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts