Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I am in need of advice. I have a 2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sport with 112,500 miles on him (his name is Vader). I have recently started having some issues with him. He started with a little stutter at around 40mph, 1500 rpms. He doesn’t do it all the time. I can go weeks without it happening. Now he is sluggish and has stalled on me a couple of times when I am at a complete stop. I have no check engine light or odd noises. No one I have taken him to has any clue. I am $2000 into my guessing game right now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
690 Posts
It would be helpful to know what maintenance and repairs you have had done beyond oil changes and tire rotations as well as what the mechanics have done for your $2,000 investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New battery, spark plugs, brake vacuum system, all fluids changed regularly and them just “checking him out” and finding nothing.

·
Super Moderator
22,075 Posts
You can throw codes without a check engine light,that’s the first place I would start.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only stored codes were for the brake vacuum sensor that I replaced and low voltage, which is why I replaced the battery.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do not. I sometimes get gas on the reservation near my house. I was recently advised not to do that.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I would change the filter. It would be nice to have a fuel sample valve low in the system like aircraft do so you can take a sample and see if there is water in the fuel.

One thing that may help, and certainly would not hurt is to put a bottle of Seafoam in your tank. If your tank is full, just go ahead and add it. If the tank is lower, add the bottle when you fill up. It sure helped my TJ when it was getting harder to start and idled rough at about 125K miles.

·
Super Moderator
22,075 Posts
yup on the sea foam or tectron additive also start filling up at top tier stations. Pay more but are generally guaranteed good gas.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will try that. Thank you! Unfortunately, I don’t have much faith that it will be that simple of a fix.

·
Registered
596 Posts
the good thing is that it is the least expensive remedy to try and then we can build up from there... you have done much to the jeep already.

·
Registered
810 Posts
yup on the sea foam or tectron additive also start filling up at top tier stations. Pay more but are generally guaranteed good gas.
+1 Top tier gas is a must.

It sounds like what the wife's 2015 did when it had an injector problem. Intermittent at first, then finally started running real rough/dying and threw a code.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with the changing of the fuel filter.

Has anyone put a vacuum gauge on it? Sluggish? Stalling? Possibility the converter is starting to go.

Best of luck
Ron of Chicago

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello all! I am in need of advice. I have a 2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sport with 112,500 miles on him (his name is Vader). I have recently started having some issues with him. He started with a little stutter at around 40mph, 1500 rpms. He doesn’t do it all the time. I can go weeks without it happening. Now he is sluggish and has stalled on me a couple of times when I am at a complete stop. I have no check engine light or odd noises. No one I have taken him to has any clue. I am $2000 into my guessing game right now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
My 2013 JKU was experiencing the exact same symptoms you described above. It started with a little stutter and became more frequent. I took it to two shops and they almost had me convinced that i was imagining it. It would not happen for them.

I poured through online forums and came across someone who had the same symptoms and discovered the answer. It is the crank position sensor. It is a $17 part at your dealer. I installed mine in about 5 minutes. All you need is a Phillips head screwdriver. It can be accessed on the passenger side of the vehicle near the bottom of the engine.

I replaced mine 15000 miles ago and never had the problem again.. The new one was a different rev. Best of luck to you.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts