Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somebody tell me what parts i need and what i need to do to stop it from leaking?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
You need a wrench to remove the driveshaft (8mm), A socket and impact wrench to remove nut that holds yoke on (dont remember the size),a screw driver to pry out old seal and a hammer to tap new seal in.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
No you need a pinion seal for a Dana 35
That should be listed under rear axle Dana 35
Quadratech part # is 52420.19
Autozone part # is D714675 @ $8.69

·
Registered
274 Posts
had the same problem. simple trip to autozone for a yoke seal solved that. follow the instructions he satated and you'll be just fine.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Its called a rear pinion seal not a yoke seal just an FYI

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You need a wrench to remove the driveshaft (8mm), A socket and impact wrench to remove nut that holds yoke on (dont remember the size),a screw driver to pry out old seal and a hammer to tap new seal in.
can it be done with out an impact wrench?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
can it be done with out an impact wrench?
Yes, u need something to hold the yoke in place ( a big pipe wrench is what I use), and a breaker bar/ impact/ 1/2 drive socket to get the nut off. I think the nut is a 32 mm?

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Without an impact wrench (compressed air driven) you will need a 24" Crescent wrench to hold the yoke and its a bi%$#.

So find a friend and bring some beer.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Its not too bad, but I would not do it without an impact gun. Besides the pinion seal you need a new nut and washer as well. You also need to make sure that when you replace the seal everything is extremely clean. I use brake cleaner and a wire brush myself to get into the threads. If you dont use a new nut it is 50/50 on if the old one stays tight. When you buy them they have some extreme thread locker on the new ones that keep the nut from moving after you are done with the job. That is super important if you dont want your gears trashed. You also need to make sure that when you put the new nut one it goes exactly as far as the old one was on, no more, no less. I count the threads sticking out past the nut before removing it so I know how far on it was.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Most of the time just replacing the Pinion seal is just a temporary fix the real Culprit is the Pinion Bearing being worn , which is usually caused buy improper drive shaft angle that is caused buy a lift that wasn't properly done. But then again it could just be worn out.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
If its an offroad vehicle it is usually because it has been getting submerged in mud, sand, and dirty water which grinds down the seals. On a car it would usually be the bearing. I replace mine once every year to 18 months and still have the same bearings. The more I bury it the faster it leaks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts