Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have an 06 TJ with a Zone 2" lift (shocks and spacers). Rides great and looks fine. I had the dealer put on new 31" BFG AT KO and they look good but they are not big enough. There is plenty of room in my wheel fender area. I want to buy a new 33" wheel tire combo. When I am shopping for wheels they speak of back spacing and I don't know what I need for proper fit.

Any insight guys?

As it sits:

image-2667719820.jpg

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
33's are fit in two common ways on TJ's:

1. 4" suspension lift, with ~2-2.5" bumpstop extensions in front and ~2.5" in the rear. Requires a SYE/CV shaft.
2. ~2-3" suspension lift, with a 1.25" body lift, with ~1.25" bumpstop extensions in front and ~1.25-1.5" in the rear. The 1.25" BL usually accompanies a 1" Motor Mount Lift to offset some of the driveline angles.

Either way you go, figure on some or many of the following components: longer front brake lines, extended sway bar links front and rear, regearing, brake and steering upgrades to accommodate larger tires, SYE, CV shaft, bumpstop extensions, new shocks, adjustable track bars, and a rear track bar bracket.

If you're interested, here's how I run 33s on my junk.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Depends on the width of the tire in use but there's a fairly narrow range in most wheels that will fit (especially in 15") anyhow.

The backspacing is the measurement from the inside lip of the rim portion to the face of the mounting surface. Most wheels in 15" will be 3.5"-4", some are 4.5" but it seems less common on aftermarket wheels.

I have 31x10.5x15 tires on 15x8" wheels with 3.6" backspacing. For 10.5" to 12.5" wide wheels anything in the 3.5"-4" range will work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts