Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i been looking and i found this beautiful 3 stage blue i was going to do BUT i got to thinking. Im going to lift and off road this jeep also and i dont want to worry about putting a dent or scratch in it soooooo here is where i need some advice. What color/kind of paint could i paint it thats cheap but still looks ok, im talking spray can, auto paint any thing that i can do for nothing but looks good cause this is my daily driver. i dont want to spend more then 100 and what color?

·
Trail Mom
2,864 Posts
Well...
there are a couple of pretty popular options in that category

BUT first, I have to ask why you're repainting it? Are you sure that a good wax & buff wouldn't make it pretty again? Elbow grease can work miracles.

Two "styles" that have become quite popular lately are both rattle can jobs.
OD Green (satin) with black trim
Satin Black
Note, I said SATIN, not flat.

You'll still need to properly clean and prep it before you squirt it with anything and a rattle can job is going to be not only more expensive than you may think, it's not nearly as easy to do as it sounds. It's a big project and by the time you've done about half of a front fender your "trigger" finger is going to be screaming for mercy.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
well if you can use a spray gun go to tsc and buy a gallon of whatever tractor paint you like its pretty good paint and its cheap but you still have all the prep work but you can touch it up anytime

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I'm going with a satin/matte black on my rig because its mostly black already and its going to see 99% of its use on trails

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
SEM trim black,satin easy tough up.lauqer based .self etching .dosent peel like other cheap paints.hides blemishes .durable. 1 coat coverage but 2 coats to be sure.

·
Trail Mom
2,864 Posts
SEM trim black,satin easy tough up.lauqer based .self etching .dosent peel like other cheap paints.hides blemishes .durable. 1 coat coverage but 2 coats to be sure.
Geeze... you're the FIRST person other than me to call out for SEM! :punk:

Unfortunately, he said he wanted to keep it under $100. Unless he were able to buy it in a gallon and shoot it with a gun, he is going to go WAY over that with rattle cans at $12 each.

But crtaylor is right. SEM Trim IS amazing paint!

·
Registered
231 Posts
It's a big project and by the time you've done about half of a front fender your "trigger" finger is going to be screaming for mercy.
Most places that sell spray cans also sell an adapter to make it trigger spray instead of those little spray buttons. lol

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just painted mine last week with 6 cans of Krylon Semi-Flat Black. I did a little bodywork patching on a few spots but I was really happy with the outcome. The greatest part is that I can touch up the paint on-the-go.

Right after I painted it I filled it up with gas and spilt the normal ammount out under the license plate. I wiped the gas off at the gas station with a towel and the paint came off. I then went into the Jeep and grabbed the can and touched up the spot. No one would ever know.

I also got spray happy and sprayed my 5 month old son's SUV black too.

The nice part about the semi-flat spray paint is that you don't get the overspray lines that you will get with a gloss. My paint job isn't perfect, but for $40 I'm happy!!!:dance:

Landon & Dad Jeeps.jpg

·
Registered
531 Posts
^^^^your Jeep looks bad A$$

·
Premium Member
2,008 Posts
That is really smooth for a spray can job I definitely don't have the patience for all that! Looks great!!!

·
Trail Mom
2,864 Posts
Aww... c'mon, you could do it!!!
It does look good!!

·
Premium Member
2,008 Posts
No trust me I got impatient tinting my marker lenses haha! And now they need to be redone lol

·
Trail Mom
2,864 Posts
Oh man, THAT's just pitiful!
How do you redo marker lenses? Metal, I can see how it can be stripped off but plastic.. hmm.. that might be a mess

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I like the Satin Green.Spray cans do have amazing nozeles these days .just look at some of the graffitty on the railways.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i really like that paint job its about what i wanted, how bad is it to scratch up? the reason im repainting is the clear is chipping and its rusting in certian spots and i dont feel like spending alot of money tring to cut out the rust and weld in patch panels. i also want to be able to scratch it and just touch it up easyly.

I just painted mine last week with 6 cans of Krylon Semi-Flat Black. I did a little bodywork patching on a few spots but I was really happy with the outcome. The greatest part is that I can touch up the paint on-the-go.

Right after I painted it I filled it up with gas and spilt the normal ammount out under the license plate. I wiped the gas off at the gas station with a towel and the paint came off. I then went into the Jeep and grabbed the can and touched up the spot. No one would ever know.

I also got spray happy and sprayed my 5 month old son's SUV black too.

The nice part about the semi-flat spray paint is that you don't get the overspray lines that you will get with a gloss. My paint job isn't perfect, but for $40 I'm happy!!!:dance:

View attachment 44377

·
Registered
103 Posts
Jemnem21 can you post some more pics please!! looks good!
Here is the first pic after I bought it:
1st Pic.jpg

This was what it looked like just before I painted it:
I had too many girls comment on how cute it was so I felt like I had to get rid of the "mermaid" blue! :D
Bondo PIc.jpg

Here are a couple of the pics from this past weekend after the paint and tint:
After1.jpg
After2.jpg
After3.jpg

·
Trail Mom
2,864 Posts
Looks like you did a pretty good job.

How do YOU like it?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts