Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Finally getting around to seriously buying new tires! I need help with ideas. I’m not educated on everything but would like to upgrade to bigger tires. Currently have 31s on original Moab Rubicon wheels. I have an 05 LJ rubicon. My friend tried his 33x12.5 tires on my Jeep and I like the look altho it’s close to rubbing. I could always get a body lift if I’d want, I do have a 2ish inch OME lift on it now. My question is what wheel/tire combo would be most economical/stable? I like the look of the tires sticking out some.. is it the wheel size that changes the backspacing? Should I be looking for a 33x12.5 tire on a 15x8 wheel? And are there brands that make lighter wheels and tires that would save me on gas some? Haha I really only do some light off-roading and take it to the beach! I can post a pic of what my friends tires look like on it now.

·
Premium Member
6,736 Posts
Since you are saying that you currently have 31s, I am going to assume that they are the original size LT245/75R16s on the Moab wheels, which I believe have 5" backspacing.

About 18" months ago, I went through this same decision. I wanted different wheels and new tires. I considered going to 31x10.50R15 tires on 15" wheels, but in the end I stayed with 16" wheels and LT245/75R16 tires.

I went with the Quadratec Rubicon Extreme wheels which are 16x8 with 4.5" backspace. (Less backspace means they stick out slightly more than the stock wheels. One of the reasons is that 15" metric sized tires are starting to disappear in the more aggressive tires. There are only two metric size 15" tires in GY Duratracs. I went with the Goodyear Duratrac tires in the LT245/75R16 size. I like the effect, and no lift. (Not needing in flatland S. Georgia).

Quadratec has pages of wheels for a YJ/TJ, from the opening page, just select by Jeep (TJ) and then all the wheels listed have the proper lug spacing.
https://www.quadratec.com/vehicle/1997-2006-wrangler-tj/wheels/alloy-wheels

·
Registered
35 Posts
I know very little on this subject. I went with 31x10.5 15s, I like the look have not had it on the rocks yet.

Diego

·
Super Moderator
14,874 Posts
If you are willing to give them a little more room, the 33x12.5's always look good. You can do a 285/75r16 and be the same height just 1" narrower.

I just bought some Pro Comp Series 31's in 15x8 for $95ea at Discount Tire and mounted 35x12.5x15's for my LJ. Jeep isn't lifted yet, it's in the works... I chose the Patagonia's and they have been excellent on my JKU. I would absolutely look at them in 33x12.5x15, they will be a very good price and they drive great for an MT.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for replies. I’m now wondering if i should go with 10.5 instead of 12.5 and figure out right backspacing. I tested stopping quickly from a high speed just to see how they (33/12.5s) would handle and they started shaking pretty bad. I’ve had death wobble before and it wasn’t that bad but similar. So either a tire not as wide or what?? Heavy duty break pads?

·
Super Moderator
6,452 Posts
black magic brake pads and centric premium rotors work wonders on tires up to 35". the OEM tie rod also becomes suspect when going to 33" or larger tires. a V8 ZJ tie rod is a great upgrade that wont break the bank.

10.5 will fit your OEM rim but the tire selection is rather limited. a 12.5" wide tire will give more options but cause you to run spacers or aftermarket rims with 3.75-4"" back spacing (15x8).

as to the differences between 12.5 and 10.5, it all depends on the terrain. generally a wider tire will do better in the rocks and on loose sand where narrower tires do better in mud and snow. i prefer wider tires my offroad toys and narrower tires on my tow rig

·
Premium Member
6,736 Posts
I don't think the shaking would have come from your suspension, more likely the brakes. It would not help to get under and check out the brake pads and rotor. I do my own rotations and once the wheel is off, it's real easy to look at the rotor and pads. Last summer I complete redid my brakes including calipers and hoses and also took the opportunity to have the unit bearings, ball joints and front axle u-joints replaced as well. Discovered something about the TJ Rubicon rear hoses. They are different from the non-rubicon rear brake hoses and if you can find them, they are $300 a side. They did not get replaced. Since I was staying with stock size tires, I stayed with stock type rotors and pads.

·
Super Moderator
14,874 Posts
Another 33 that has really picked up steam lately is the pizza cutter... EIther a 255/80r17 or a 255/85r16. They are a bit expensive, but make fitments much easier and perform very well in all conditions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've got the 2-ish OME lift too. I just put on some 15x8 Pro Comp 69s and 32x11.50R15s. Fits (and rides) like a dream!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts