Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to install the 1.5" Teraflex leveling lift. My understanding is that this nets about 2" in the front, and 1" in the back (or maybe a bit more). In a previous thread it was suggested that I work out 2" bumpstops in the front--I plan to drill, countersink, etc. two hockey pucks and bolt those in. But I am having troubles sorting out how to get 1" in the rear. I found two products--I'm not sure either nets me the one additional inch I need. I can probably figure something out (it was suggested to use some square steel tubing), but I wonder if anyone has used something for this application. Both of the products I found are by Energy Suspension (one looks like it replaces the standard snubber, the other bolts to the axle) but I can't tell how much either of them add.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stock Rubi shocks now, planning on getting whichever the appropriate Rancho 9000 ones are during the upcoming spring sale (if you have a suggestion as to the specific Ranchos I should get I'll take those now, so I don't have to post that question in a month or so).

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want as much articulation as possible with the setup I have--so considering the lift, the stops, I'm guessing to get the 30XL for the rear, and something for the front whose compressed length is about 2" greater than stock?

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Here's another question. Either bumpstops or shocks (or I guess fenders) limit the upward travel, and I assume shocks limit the downward travel (unless straps or other travel limit devices are fitted). I'm getting the sense that using a shock as a bumpstop is bad, while using it as a travel limiter isn't as bad. Is that correct?

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
Thanks. Here's another question. Either bumpstops or shocks (or I guess fenders) limit the upward travel, and I assume shocks limit the downward travel (unless straps or other travel limit devices are fitted). I'm getting the sense that using a shock as a bumpstop is bad, while using it as a travel limiter isn't as bad. Is that correct?
Yep shocks are your downward limiter. Full extension is not as bad as over compressing .. Which will damage the shock.

·
Super Moderator
14,567 Posts
That's a good assessment. My understanding is from a droop or down travel perspective the shock is only holding a smaller amount of weight whereas up travel the shock is taking the full force of the weight of the vehicle.

A simple rule of thumb is the amount of additional collapsed length of shock is the amount of bump stop you need to add. That's as long as you don't have tire interference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts