Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guy's So I got a great on gen2 xrc 9.5 winch,
but I never mounted one before and I was wondering if I could get some help as to how to mount it on my bumper.

Which winch plate should I go with? Also do I just take my measurements and drill the holes and mount up? Here's pics of my front bumper thanks!!
unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
Some are all still waiting for a picture of the winch, and I think the rest of us are thinking holy crap he's going to have to move those lights

Reactions: ibikee

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh I didn't get the winch yet, I originally thought to buy a universal plate, drill holes, bolt, washer, nut, done, but the guy at northridge said it would be like mounting it to card bord, I dont see the diffrence between these and a winch bumper except the winch bumper has a built in plate or seat for the winch.

I guess my question would be am I safe to drill and bolt the winch/any winch on this bumper after I move the lights?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Oh I didn't get the winch yet, I originally thought to buy a universal plate, drill holes, bolt, washer, nut, done, but the guy at northridge said it would be like mounting it to card bord, I dont see the diffrence between these and a winch bumper except the winch bumper has a built in plate or seat for the winch.

I guess my question would be am I safe to drill and bolt the winch/any winch on this bumper after I move the lights?
Depends.. if you want to use the winch, I would get a winch bumper. If it's for looks, should be fine. Winch bumpers have supports to transfer the load from the bumper to the frame of the vehicle. You would twist that bumper into a beer can on the first real pull.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I second that - get a bumper designed for a winch. You could just drill the holes in that bumper, but it wasn't designed to take the force of a 9500 lb pull. You don't want to end up bending the frame. Doing it right the first time might be cheaper...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hu..Im not a man to ask for advise, and not use it, so I guess Ill heed to the fair warning...
Thanks.. did'nt wanna cough up more cash just recently did a evo enforcer lift, synergy drag link flip plus synergy tie rod, now artech truss, winch, vair 450H on bord air compressor, blackmagic disc and pads. Now a new front bumper... sorry for the long response..thanks...

·
Registered
926 Posts
Also any winch is going to block air that cools the radiator most popular branded bumpers come with a winch drop....buy a winch then look up that winch with a compatible plate, there are not many as yes most are universal but some (larger winches) might have different plate holes....GL man. Also like some have said winch plates bolt directly onto the frame under the bumper just can't see it but that gives you the most strength for heavy pulls..just bolting the winch plate on top of that is disaster waiting to happen.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good question, and unfortunately, I don't know the answer, I do see they sell (universal) winch plates..
I just ended up buying a winch bumper rated for 12k; now I'm thinking if I use a snatch block to double my pulling capacity will my rope handle it and will the bumper handle it.? I'll need to call some suppliers/manufacturers and ask..

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also any winch is going to block air that cools the radiator most popular branded bumpers come with a winch drop....buy a winch then look up that winch with a compatible plate, there are not many as yes most are universal but some (larger winches) might have different plate holes....GL man. Also like some have said winch plates bolt directly onto the frame under the bumper just can't see it but that gives you the most strength for heavy pulls..just bolting the winch plate on top of that is disaster waiting to happen.
Thanks for the heads up good to know!

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Are all winch plates universal to all winches or do certain winches require the same brand plates?
Most winches in this size class follow the same bolt pattern, regardless of brand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts