Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
battery was dead and I replaced it. It won't start at all. It won't even click. any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Do the cables look bad at all?

~Lev

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
not really. I am getting plenty of power to the radio and all the dash lights.
If you have a autozone near you might wana have them hook it up to the computer and see if they can find the issue. Worth a check its free.

~Lev

·
Registered
576 Posts
If you have a autozone near you might wana have them hook it up to the computer and see if they can find the issue. Worth a check its free.

~Lev
Kinda hard to do if you can't start the jeep to drive it out there lol...

Here is how to get the code as far as I know:

The method you use to view the engine diagnostics is now different. Starting in 1998, the method of repeatedly switching on/off of the ignition is now used for programming the new Chrysler Sentry Key system. The Sentry Key was introduced in 1998 as an optional feature and by 2000 was standard on all TJs. Some 1998 models without the Sentry Key system may still use the older procedure. The way to tell if your Jeep has the Sentry Key system is if the plastic head on your keys are gray--you do. Black headed keys mean you don't have the Sentry Key system.

So on TJs with the newer diagnostic system, to see the codes you put the key into the ignition, push and hold down the odometer reset button, turn the key to RUN, then release the odometer reset button. When you do this you are rewarded with dancing number displays, the firmware version number, any error codes, then a diagnostic test of all the dash indicators and gauges. The gauges will, one by one, go through a calibration--the needles moving and stopping at major increments so you can check their alignment with the dial markings.

Output from the newer onboard diagnostics is easier to read now, as you get full 4-digits codes for much greater detail.

·
Registered
541 Posts
It is speed stick or auto?

because if it's spd stick u may want push it in order to take it to any autozone .

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have the 2001 and turning the key on/off 3 times doesn't do the fancy gauge dance, but if your check engine light is on, it will display error codes.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have the 2001 and turning the key on/off 3 times doesn't do the fancy gauge dance, but if your check engine light is on, it will display error codes.
Because fron 98 and up it does not work in that way .
It works with the odometer reset button.
Its posted above.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Ok, start simple.

Do you have an alarm system? If so, it may be stopping you from starting the engine, but usually if that's the case it will at least turn over, just not start.

Also, it's not in drive is it? Or in gear?

Did you do anything else besides replace the battery? How long was it sitting with a dead battery? What was the problem that led you to believe the battery was dead to begin with?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Ok, start simple.

Do you have an alarm system? If so, it may be stopping you from starting the engine, but usually if that's the case it will at least turn over, just not start.

Also, it's not in drive is it? Or in gear?

Did you do anything else besides replace the battery? How long was it sitting with a dead battery? What was the problem that led you to believe the battery was dead to begin with?
I actually had an alarm system on mine and it wouldn not even turn over if the system was armed. Nothing at all when the key turned.

Might wanna see if you can pull the fuse for the alarm and see if you have any luck. Can't hurt to try I guess. Hope you get it figured out.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Every now and then I have the same problem, on my 2000, I have an Auto tranny, and I just shift to Neutral and it starts right up. Pretty sure manuals have a safety feature also, to keep the starter from engaging in gear...

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
If you have a car alarm.. it probably uses a relay to disabble the starter from turning. Shutting off the car alarm wont turn that relay on either..Who installed the alarm? If not you.. look for a little push switch that is hidden somewhere even behind the glove box. That switch should restart the alarm and identify the owner is in the house.

Manuals do have the safety. Gotta press and hold the clutch for it to crank over. If you turn the key with out the clutch it wont crank and act as if nuthing has happened. If you turn the key and hold it there and step on the clutch at a certain point it will start cranking. There is a safety switch thats all.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts