Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm leaving workouts and was dropping my friend off at his house, maybe a 6 mile drive. We both started to smell a weird burning. We were already out his house. We hop out and there was smoke coming from my brakes. My rotors were extremely hot. My brake fluid was fine...wtf is happening?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Stuck caliper? Do you use the e brake often?

·
Registered
304 Posts
gmiller0737 said:
Sounds like a sticking Brake Caliper was it 1 side or both? A set of Calipers is likely in your future.
Lol... This wasn't there when I started typing.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn.. One of my friends put my e brake on as a joke. But I put it down when I started driving, it wasn't on.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My Ebrake has a tendency to stick even though I release it at the handle. But if it was your front brakes, thats not the issue. Could be: (If only one side was smoking)
Brake Caliper seized - Caliper Replacement
Slide Pins Seized - disassemble caliper hardware, clean and lube on reassembly
Brake Line Kinked - Line Replacement with Brake Bleed.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Defiance03Sahara said:
My Ebrake has a tendency to stick even though I release it at the handle. But if it was your front brakes, thats not the issue. Could be: (If only one side was smoking)
Brake Caliper seized - Caliper Replacement
Slide Pins Seized - disassemble caliper hardware, clean and lube on reassembly
Brake Line Kinked - Line Replacement with Brake Bleed.
Ima try it. Thank you.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Brakes

I had a front right caliper stick on, almost burned the TJ up. You will need a shop to fix them. I had to have rotor, caliper, pucks, and fluid replaced.:)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Happened to me last weekend. I could smell something first and was hoping it wasn't my vehicle then saw a lot of smoke coming out. I was luckily only about 8 blocks from my house after coming back from the coast. I took it slow and got home. I wasn't sure what the problem was but I checked it out and saw the smoke coming from my passenger side wheel.

My brake line collapsed so a new brake line and rotor and I am back on the road.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Easy way to tell if it's a collapsed brake hose or a stuck caliper. Jack up the corner of the offending wheel. Try to turn wheel by hand. If you can turn it by hand, pay attention to the amount of effort it takes. Open your bleeder on the caliper. If the wheel loosens up it is MOST LIKELY a collapsed brake hose. If it makes no difference then it is either a stuck piston in the caliper or the caliper slide pins are seized. If it's a rear wheel it may also be parking brake cable or parking brake hardware sticking.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Joshpeb2 said:
Easy way to tell if it's a collapsed brake hose or a stuck caliper. Jack up the corner of the offending wheel. Try to turn wheel by hand. If you can turn it by hand, pay attention to the amount of effort it takes. Open your bleeder on the caliper. If the wheel loosens up it is MOST LIKELY a collapsed brake hose. If it makes no difference then it is either a stuck piston in the caliper or the caliper slide pins are seized. If it's a rear wheel it may also be parking brake cable or parking brake hardware sticking.
Yeah that's what I'm doing now, jacking it up. I'm thinking it a stuck caliper.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Just replaced my rear caliper after same issue. No probs since

·
"Seamed Like a Good Idea
1,200 Posts
All good advice. Sorry though, when I saw the heading for this thread somehow all I could think about was Cheech and Chong! :whistling:

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'm leaving workouts and was dropping my friend off at his house, maybe a 6 mile drive. We both started to smell a weird burning. We were already out his house. We hop out and there was smoke coming from my brakes. My rotors were extremely hot. My brake fluid was fine...wtf is happening?
before you go spend a bunch of money on calipers tough do what I did when it happened to me take a big c clamp and compress the piston cylinder inside just but it over both sides of the caliper and compress it a little bit I did it to mine and they have been fine ever since. try it and you should be good:thumb:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Back brake locking up

Did any of the warning lights come on when anyone had this issue? All my brake system indicators are one, ABS, ESP etc

·
Registered
615 Posts
I had the same problem. Driver side went out first. The next day the passenger side took a dump.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Same thing happened to me last week. Was just driving and smelled something funny, when I got to a light I saw smoke and ruined my pants lol. It destroyed my rotors and pads so I cleaned the caliper and the piston well, then compressed it, changed pads and rotors and haven't had any problems since.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me. It ended up being the caliper was not releasing all the way. I ended up replacing the caliper, rotor and pads. I also replaced the wheel hub just to be safe. Problem solved.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It may not be the brakes at all. I had my rear axle bearing pack go bad causing everything to get really hot and leak oil onto the brake assembly causing smoke.

It could be the caliper as many have suggested, but just to add another thing to look at to the list.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts