Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I hooked my winch up according the the directions I thought correctly and after connecting the cables to the positive and negative terminals I was all set. So as I'm testing the winch in and out if it touched anything but the fairlead it sparked. Say if the cabmed touched the bumper or d rings. WTF?

·
Registered
570 Posts
What brand/model winch? Make sure you're cables are al connected correctly. From the winch motor to battery and from winch motor to solenoid. Otherwise something is very wrong with your winch and you should disconnect it! :O

·
Registered
223 Posts
Definitely something is wrong. Is the winch and fairlead isolated from the bumper? Normally if the winch is secured to the bumper the winch body is grounded along with the fairlead.

Contact the manufacturer and they can walk you through the connections and replace if necessary.

Definitely disconnect it now so it doesn't cause a fire.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Recheck the controller connections, my buddy and I spent hours trying to figure out his winch and it turned out one of the wires was in the wrong spot and the back of the plug. :/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts