Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've installed the rhino rack backbone system along with the vortex bars. I finally got my RTT up on the bars and found out that the RTT just barely rests on all 3 bars (see pics). The problem here is that, save for the middle bar, the RTT mounting rails don't extend far enough past each bar for me to be able to secure it. The way I see it, I have a few options:
1. Scoot the tent either forward or backward to solve the clearance issue and use four instead of six mounting brackets to mount. I'm not wild about this option because I'd like to have the weight distributed across all three bars, not just two.

2. I look for and install longer mounting rails under the tent so that each end extends beyond the vortex bars and allows me to secure all six points.

3. I only secure two points in the middle.

Any and all input, hacks, etc. Is welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 10th Anniversary Edition
447 Posts
Can you reach out to Thule and ask for longer mounting bars? Another option would be to get a set of roof rack load bars (like the ARS ones) and mount those to the rack system and the tent to those.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Can you take the t-rails off the tent and mount directly to the bars?

Can you get the next size up tent so it is wide enough?

I have the Rhino and put a Frontier tray on it to mount my tent...

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
What direction are you having the tent deploy? For my Tepui, I changed the direction and had to cut the mounting bars down accordingly. On my Disco, I had the tent go to the rear, so I needed cross bars that I was able to get in there under the rack’s main bars.

Depending on this, you may need to rethink how it will be mounted as it looks like the spacing is wonky and may actually require you to get different cross bars to get it to mount with appropriate spacing. I wouldn’t be in a hurry to have the tent toward the front as that was DEAFENING when I was doing my initial testing- it needs to be to the rear to wind noise to a tolerable level.

Lastly, I thought you only needed 4 mounting points for the tent. That’s all I have and I don’t know how many thousands of miles I have done like that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What direction are you having the tent deploy? For my Tepui, I changed the direction and had to cut the mounting bars down accordingly. On my Disco, I had the tent go to the rear, so I needed cross bars that I was able to get in there under the rack’s main bars.

Depending on this, you may need to rethink how it will be mounted as it looks like the spacing is wonky and may actually require you to get different cross bars to get it to mount with appropriate spacing. I wouldn’t be in a hurry to have the tent toward the front as that was DEAFENING when I was doing my initial testing- it needs to be to the rear to wind noise to a tolerable level.

Lastly, I thought you only needed 4 mounting points for the tent. That’s all I have and I don’t know how many thousands of miles I have done like that.
Thanks this is helpful. Tent is going to deploy off the passenger side (I have an awning on the driver side). Re: mounting points - my concern is more around weight distribution on the rack system than the tent flying off while driving. If I can have the weight distributed across all three bars, I'd like to, and therefore would probably just attach at 6 points instead of 4.

Regardless, I ended up ordering the 72" mounting rails that come on the bigger tent, so I'll mount those and likely have to cut them down a bit.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
So on the Jeep, mine goes to one side or other other.

And I thought the Rhino deal attached to the sport bar (drilling into the hard top). If that’s the case, 6 points seems crazy overkill. But I guess if the tent is going to live on the top, might not be a bad thought. My tent is on for whatever trip I’m going on and immediately comes off. The rack for mine also comes off with the hard top. I was actually sad to put the hard top on for the latest trip.

It immediately went back to this after we got back. Just under an hour to pull the top, doors, rack, and tent.

Part of what I love about how I have the Jeep set up is the erector set modularity of all the crap I have for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts