Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 2009 Jeep Wrangler X sport in December. We had our first warm day yesterday so I tried to take off the soft top and can't figure it out!!! I'm so embarrassed...

We started with the front two latches on the windshield area, and we weren't able to get the front part of the top folded up. There are these retainer kind of things where the top meets each front window that we just couldn't get to lift off the frame of the car. It seemed like there was something holding them in but I just can't find it.

Any ideas? Was it just maybe too cold and not quite as easy to manipulate? Help!
We figured out the rest except the back windshield was difficult to get off the zipper completely -- I think because of the temp and it wasn't lubricated or anything.

Any help would be great. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Someone likely has your same model and can help, but otherwise can you send a pic or two with what you are looking at on your top? Will do my best to help.

·
Registered
646 Posts
There are these retainer kind of things where the top meets each front window that we just couldn't get to lift off the frame of the car

They are retainers, and they are a pain to get off, and to snap back on properly.

Here is how I used to do mine:

Doors open, leave the front latches hooked up but not latched. You need to take out the side window first. This will allow you to see how those side window retainers fold into the side.

The ones above the doors are very similar. After you take the side windows out, take out the back window and unhook the flaps in the back, by the tailgate. This will allow it to move some. Then you need to stand inside the front door, reach up and put a thumb and forefinger on each side of the door retainer. Grab that SOB and pull down a bit and pull out at the same time. It WILL snap hard and you WILL think you broke it. This will probably hurt your thumbs and fingers and cause much cussing, too.

Put windows back in in reverse order. Hook the latches but don't latch. Put retainers over doors on, they kind of fold in and up at the same time. They need to kind of snap into place and be tight. Put in side windows, just barely zip them to hold in place, then do side retainers. Then zip windows. Put in rear window and secure flaps around gate and side windows. THEN latch your latches.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts