Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For years I have wanted a jeep unlimited. I finally was financially able to buy a new 2016. I'm a "new be". I would like to lift with the mopar 2 inch lift. I would also like to put 35's on it with 18 inch wheels. My worry is that the 35 tires will hurt the power and make my new jeep terrible on the normal road. Would 33 be a better choice ? I'm gonna do trails but really nothing over a trail rating of 6! Please help !

·
Registered
247 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new ride!! It depends a lot on the gear ratio your Jeep has as to whether larger tires will make it seem sluggish. With 4.10 gears I had no issues with 33s, I could even spin the rear tires off the line if I wanted to watch my gas gauge plummet (and that was with the 3.8). Unless you got a Rubicon the gearing options available to you are 3.21 and 3.73. I have heard stories about the 3.6 engine being able to handle 33s on a 3.21 axle no problem because of the increased power; I have yet to be touched by the "Jesus engine" so I can't help you out there. If you're going to 35s you would probably want to regear to 4.10 or higher, but again I've never had the 3.6 so it might be ok if you had the 3.73 gears.

·
Super Moderator
15,484 Posts
Thanks! Yes I have 3.21. So 33's are the size for me! Thank you for taking the time to help!
35s are OK too, just plan a regear to 4.56 and you'll have an awesome rig.

We just put 35s on the wife's 2 door Jeep with 3.73 and I was pleasantly surprised. We focused on a light weight 35 and settled on the Duratrac 315/75/17 at 34.4" total.

Good luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Next question ! I'm thinking I will need a steering stabilizer! The mopar lift does not come with one. The lift mopar has put together has fox shocks. Fox has a few to choose from and ideas?

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
You've done some homework already and thats good. You can certainly go with Fox although there are plenty of SS manufacturers out there. I happen to like the OME (Old Man Emu) SS for the price and quality. Your JKU will be fantastic

·
Registered
247 Posts
I personally like the internal design of the IPF over an external oil reservoir but I think that's just paranoia that something on the suspension would puncture it (I'm sure it wouldn't). I bought an inexpensive steering stabilizer ($50) to combat shimmy from the increased tire weight (which it did) and left it there until that Jeep was gone. Do you feel the ATS is worth more than double the price of the IFP? Beyond the internal/external reservoir I don't know if there's a difference and I would rather spend the extra money on other mods, however, I'm sure it's a very good steering stabilizer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts