Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on the way home today I hear a new sound, big, throaty, muffler-e noise coming from under me. I was about a block from my house so I got home and got under the ol girl and found this. Just before the cat? Go easy on me tech knowledge wise, I have a thirst for knowledge about my jeep, but am pretty new to all of this. I am going to be doing more research while I await any help y'all could offer. Is it a bad idea to drive her at all? Do you think I could JB weld (or something like that) it back together? Any help would be really appreciated. Could this be affecting my 02 sensors? Thanks in advance. -dove

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and BTW that photo is from the drivers side looking back. The tranny is in the foreground.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Does appear to be the mount for the exhaust system. Looks like you need to visit a good muffler shop. As several have advised on here, I would visit an independent shop rather than a chain muffler or tire shop. Should be ok to drive for a little while but would get it fixed as soon as you can. Good luck with it.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,389 Posts
That just looks like the weld for the exhaust pipe hanger rod rusted out... easily and inexpensively fixed by a competent independent muffler shop. Avoid having a chain muffler company like Meineke or Midas repair it since they are way more likely to overcharge you.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That just looks like the weld for the exhaust pipe hanger rod rusted out... easily and inexpensively fixed by a competent independent muffler shop. Avoid having a chain muffler company like Meineke or Midas repair it since they are way more likely to overcharge you.
That's good to know. If I temporarily patch it with muffler tape do u think it's ok to drive it?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, one last question. I patched it last night, but I did it without re-attaching the motor mount (I just took it out). I just aluminum patch and muffler taped it. I plan on getting a new piece when I have the extra cheddar, but how dangerous is having the exhaust there without having that motor mount? It seems pretty sturdy without it (I don't plan on any "adventuring" until I get it truly fixed) should I get some exhaust clamps and attach it to some portion on the underside of the jeep? Thanks again. :)

·
zombie & ninja slayer
2,276 Posts
Just tie it up with wire or a clothes hanger for a temp fix

·
Knows a couple things...
49,389 Posts
That's not a motor mount, it is an exhaust hanger which only serves to help support the front half of the exhaust pipe. It wouldn't cost much $$$ to have a welder weld it back into place. I'm no more than a hack welder & I could weld that back together in 5 minutes.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Doesn't look to me like there's enough left to weld. By the time you get enough rust removed to weld you'll just burn through it.
I just spent about an hour trying to patch together a pipe on one of my old pickups that looked much like this.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,389 Posts
A welder wouldn't try to weld to the rusty part, he'd weld a larger piece onto the pipe for the support rod to attach to.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
A welder wouldn't try to weld to the rusty part, he'd weld a larger piece onto the pipe for the support rod to attach to.
That pipe is too far gone to weld to. That's what I'm saying. I've been welding on vehicles as part of my profession for over 20 years. When do I become a welder?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,389 Posts
That pipe is too far gone to weld to. That's what I'm saying. I've been welding on vehicles as part of my profession for over 20 years. When do I become a welder?
How many exhaust systems did you do last week? ;)
I will create a welding altar in my garage and bow in your direction every time I need to weld something in the future. I am not worthy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts