Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started diving into my 'new' Jeep today. I parked it after my throttle linkage broke shortly after its purchase. I replaced the blower motor today and had it in the garage (love heated epoxy floors). Much to my dismay, I started the YJ up and when i walked around the back and there was oil/water on the floor under the tailpipe.

A little background on the Jeep. 120,000 mi on 4.2 and there is oil residue all over the valve cover (PCV?) and i noticed a drip on the ground towards the rear of the motor. Upon inspection, there is a thin oil film over most of the motor. What should I be looking for first? Any typical culprits?

Also, I noticed a small trans oil leak that I can't locate at the minute due to the skid plate. What should I look for? I'm a small engine man so transmissions are foreign to me unless it can fit in a small box and says 'Honda' on it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
i couldn't help but respond in my head "that's what she said" to your title.

As far as the PVC leak, I had that issue and the rubbery/plastic piping coming from the motor was held by duct tape and kept coming off. I got it all replaced among other things when I first purchased it.

that oil leak was about $100 at a jeep dealer. Which means it could probably be done for about $5 on your own.

sorry i cant be of more assistance to you.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
First thing is to take it to self carwash and clean the engine compartment and anything else you can reach....start from there and oil leaks will be easier to find....are you sure you had oil and water at the tailpipe? You do get some oily sheen from fuel in exhaust moisture at times and is not really any problem..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts