Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, My wife picked up a new JKU and the dealer wasnt sure when to do the 1st oil change, I see some guys here do it at 800 miles or 1000 miles???? Is this true? The dealer looked at us like we were crazy when I told him that.. We have about 3000 miles on it now.. Can someone let me know what is the correct miles to do the oil changes.. I wont be using synthetic .. Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Hey guys, My wife picked up a new JKU and the dealer wasnt sure when to do the 1st oil change, I see some guys here do it at 800 miles or 1000 miles???? Is this true? The dealer looked at us like we were crazy when I told him that.. We have about 3000 miles on it now.. Can someone let me know what is the correct miles to do the oil changes.. I wont be using synthetic .. Thanks Guys!
Whatever makes you comfortable. Just make sure to do a 5 tire rotation at the same time as you change your oil. There are about 3,000 threads on here in regards to oil changes.

I personally do mine every 5,000.

·
Nature Photog and Jeeper
2,981 Posts
Some people do it that quick on the first one because they are changing over to a full synthetic (Mobil 1 etc) and would rather do it sooner than later.

I did my first one at 1000 and then been doing it every 5000 after that with a 5 tire rotation on every other oil change.

·
Registered
179 Posts

:censored: Did the first myself with Jeep recommended oil filter and oil......no problems with breaking the oil filter housing or leaks or? anything else (much simplier than tearing down a big block chevy between weekly races):welcome:

·
Sponsoring Vendor
4,165 Posts
The folks here are right, just do it on a regular basis. Your owners manual should say mileage wise. But you can do it more often. Personally, I change all my fluids on a regular basis (but not all at the same times) from the radiator to the auto trans fluid. I've been lucky, no issues at 110,000 miles so far. To me, it's cheaper than something major taking a hit, and so far, my vehicle has never left me stranded. (oops, jinxed it LOL ).

·
Registered
76 Posts
Did my first one 6 months after buying (when doing the summer/winter transition maintenance (tires, wiper blades, etc...)). I had a little more then 8000 kms (around 5k miles) on it and I switched to full pennzoil synthetic. 5k miles or every 6 month seems like a good spot for me.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Read your manual.

Pretty much the car has some sort of sensor that will tell you when to change it. You can do it sooner. The only limitation is that it is done at least once per year.

I'll tell you what I am doing. I will let the car tell me when, and the first time I change I will go to a full synthetic oil. Oils now day are all good quality, and remember you do have a warranty too. I believe people change their oil too soon and consider it a waste but that's my opinion.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I did my first change at about 800 miles. next one at 5k and every 5k after that. There is a difference between a mechanic and a car salesman.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The oil life monitor gives you the percent of oil life remaining. Just follow that.
Even on the FIRST oil change? Thats really my concern.. The 1st one.. I see alot of guys do it really early , but then realized they switch to synthetic .. I plan on staying with regular oil.. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Changing it at 3000 miles, even for the first change, is a waste of good oil. If you must change something then change the filter. The manufacture knows their product, so follow their recommendations.

This 3000 mile oil change philosophy came about from the 60's. Engine and oil technology has improved since then. Let go of out dated and wasteful beliefs.

I've never changed my oil early on any vehicle and not once had an oil related engine malfunction.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I think the recommended change interval for my 66 Mustang was every 6000 miles, but the first change I would absolutely change before 1000

·
Registered
565 Posts
I did my first at 5000 miles and continue to do them at 5000. Makes it easy to remember.

·
Premium Member
6,905 Posts
I see some guys here do it at 800 miles or 1000 miles???? Is this true?
I always do the first change on a new vehicle at no more than 1,000 miles. There are threads on the forum showing bits of metal in the oil and filter at the first oil change and it becomes less and less after that.

I know I don't want that kind of garbage floating around in my engine, warranty or not. Thus, I always do the first oil change early. I had ours initially done at 1,000 miles and every 2,000 miles thereafter.

The 2,000 mile interval is due to us having to get the oil changed 4x per year to keep our lifetime free oil change promotion that our dealer included with our Wrangler purchase.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I changed mine at 1000 but did not switch to synthetic. The 1000 mile change was standard at one time. The thought was engine break-in the first 500 to 1000 miles created a lot of metal particles floating around the oil and clogging the filter. After the 1000 miles the break-in is 80 to 90 % complete and the oil change can be done at normal periods. Personally I now change mine every 4000 miles. It is just cheap insurance.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
It is just cheap insurance.
Actually no it's not, it's just a waste of good oil. No engine has ever been damaged from break in oil with metal particles in it by following the manufactures oil change schedule. But some people seem to think they know better than the folks that designed the engine.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Actually no it's not, it's just a waste of good oil. No engine has ever been damaged from break in oil with metal particles in it by following the manufactures oil change schedule. But some people seem to think they know better than the folks that designed the engine.
But but but but my grand pappy has been changing the oil every 500 miles since 1937 and has never had an engine problem!!!!

:mooning:

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Good to know the metal particles won't damage the engine. Looks like I threw away 20 bucks or so on an oil change :(

1 - 20 of 44 Posts