Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to figure out where to start with this one and the easiest and most efficient way to correct things and I don't exactly know how to ask this question so bare with me here:

The Jeep right now has the following:

PO told me:

- 4" lift (I figured out it was pro comp by inspecting the shocks)
- stock control arms all the way around
- transfer case drop

The pinion angle is way off (I had an old thread on this, and yes, the easier fix is to do a slip yoke eliminator, new driveshaft and call it a day)

except, after replacing 2 pro comp shocks, my back ones are both leaking, and I am pretty sure one of the front ones I just did less than a year ago is leaking again as well.

So, since I am not a fan of these pro comp shocks to begin with...I've been wanting to swap all the shocks out, possibly even go down to a 3.5" lift shock to help get rid of this pinion angle issue...my problem at this point is I can't pin down which kit this procomp kit is (all the ones I see online come with short arms, and I have factory arms)... I really just want to know what the specs are on these springs...I'd like to buy better shocks like say fox/bilstein shocks, but I'd like to know what size springs are in the Jeep right now so I can figure out the correct shocks to buy...like if the springs are for 4" lifts only...and I buy a shock that is 3-3.5" that isn't going to sit well

my thoughts are...come down to a 3.5" lift, go with a 1" body lift/motor mount lift and eliminate the transfer case lift...I feel the Jeep will be much happier and I will have an overall height that is taller anyways

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Sounds like someone just installed 4" springs and shocks. If the springs are indeed ProComp, they're either 2" or 4", that's all they make. The ProComp shock most commonly sold is their ES-3000 which is a terrible/stiff shock for a TJ.

I'd take a close hard look at the Zone 4.25" which is a 3" SL plus a 1" BL. You may not need the tcase drop for a 3" suspension lift after installing the 1" taller motor mounts but you might.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like someone just installed 4" springs and shocks. If the springs are indeed ProComp, they're either 2" or 4", that's all they make. The ProComp shock most commonly sold is their ES-3000 which is a terrible/stiff shock for a TJ.

I'd take a close hard look at the Zone 4.25" which is a 3" SL plus a 1" BL. You may not need the tcase drop for a 3" suspension lift after installing the 1" taller motor mounts but you might.
well it has the relocation brackets for the track bar out back as well... I don't think it has brake line extensions, but I would of thought you would need them with a 4" lift?

between the motor mount lift and the adjustable rear control arms I have from metalcloak that still need to go on, I'm hoping to eliminate that TC drop for sure.

I believe I figured these out to be either the es3000 or es9000 shocks... I replaced 2 (they supposedly only had 4k on them when I got the Jeep, but were 8 years old) they started leaking though. The ride is unbelievably stiff- I am almost positive the back end kicks in the air every time I hit the short speed bumps.

So procomp only made 2" and 4" shocks eh? even not in a kit version? (in case this person pieced together his own kit kinda deal?)

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
ProComp may make more shock absorber lengths than for 2" or 4" but their suspension kit springs are only 2" or 4".

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the only way to do this in parts would be to buy a shock absorber that is good for 3.5-4" of lift.

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts