Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a 2003 TJ i once had a YJ 90 and bought the ring and pinion for it but, i forgot what gears i bought all i know its a 41 spline count can anyone tell me what it is? and also do you guys think the ring and pinion would fit on my tj? it has a dana 30 front and dana 44 rear. transmission is a nv3550 TC is a np231 and im using 35 inch tires i drive mostly just in the city and i love to go in the mud anyone knows what would be the best gears for my tj? :wavey:

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
4.88 - as it's the lowest ratio you can go that will fit in the d30.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,616 Posts
So i have a 2003 TJ i once had a YJ 90 and bought the ring and pinion for it but, i forgot what gears i bought all i know its a 41 spline count can anyone tell me what it is? and also do you guys think the ring and pinion would fit on my tj? it has a dana 30 front and dana 44 rear. transmission is a nv3550 TC is a np231 and im using 35 inch tires i drive mostly just in the city and i love to go in the mud anyone knows what would be the best gears for my tj? :wavey:
Your rear Dana 44 is a 30 spline and your front Dana 30 is 27 spline... no 41 spline axles anywhere. For 35" tires, 4.0L engine, and 5-speed transmission, you want 4.88 R&P gears. 4.88 is the optimal highway and offroad axle ratio for that size tire for your particular Jeep's transmission and engine type.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Obviously stronger axels are a plus, but what I usually read on the forums is 4.56 for 33s and 4.88 for 35s

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks alot guys as soon as i have extra cash i might change the gears im really starting to like this forum very helpful

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
since no one else answered it, to figure out the ratio of the older YJ gears divide the number of teeth on the ring by that on the pinion. That way you know what it is and can sell them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts