Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advise on picking an axle back exhaust for my 09 jku...I would like something a little louder than the dynomax I had on my 2000 tj, but not something so loud that it will drone inside. Please help...

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I need some advise on picking an axle back exhaust for my 09 jku...I would like something a little louder than the dynomax I had on my 2000 tj, but not something so loud that it will drone inside. Please help...
I love my Gibson dual exhaust. You can find sound clips online.
Also do a search on this forum. There is a lot of exhaust threads.

image-985995228.jpg

·
Registered
464 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I've been reading the gibson is pretty loud and drones....is that right?
I found that a lot of people have a different definition for droning. At low Rpm's it can get a serious base tone. I just down shift.
Mine is throaty, raspy and loud. I also have a k&n cai.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just want to make sure I can talk to the wife without having to talk loudly and that's it's not to loud in the back for my 5 yr old son. But do want something with a little throaty sound to it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Look at the Dynomax #38456. I'm running one similar on my '14 and there is NO DRONE at all. Nice sound over stock, but not loud. Only thing I changed was found a turn down tip at the parts store and changed the Dynomax straight tip.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I run the AFE High Tuck axle back. I got it cheap a couple of Black Friday's ago and love it. It is a high tuck so you don't see anything and I can finally hear the engine rev in order to shift by sound. I have a soft top and it does not drone nor is too loud.
Exhaust Systems Axle-Back MACH Force XP EXH 2.5in Axle-Back; Jeep Wrangler JK; 07-14 V6-3.6/3.8L 49-46219 - aFe Power

I got mine from Auto Anything in SS for about the price of what they want for the aluminized version now. I was lucky to grab it during a BF sale. I also believe AA priced it wrong when I ordered it because I paid less then $300 for the Mach Force SS system and now they have a Scorpion branded system that is aluminized for about $250. This is what I paid minus another 10% during BF sales taking me to $225. If you can get the SS version for under $300 I would do it. No regrets plus it well tucked up protecting it when off road. I just don't thing duals look right on a Jeep plus you run the risk of hanging them up on something when wheeling.

The only thing to complain about is the 409 SS will develop some surface rust where 304 will not. I finally experienced this on my system this winter after all the salt and chemical usage used around here fighting the Feb-Apr snowfalls. It cleaned up nicely and still looks good. I used some 3M scouring pads (course, medium, then fine) and finished with a coat of stainless steel sink polish (Hope's brand I believe) I picked up from Lowe's. Here's a little more info on stainless steel.
http://www.summitracing.com/expertadviceandnews/professoroverdrive/answer/3932

·
Registered
627 Posts
I no longer have that problem with the AFE Mach Force High Tuck axle back. It was super easy to install. Really it only changes our a small section of pipe at the rear axle and the muffler. The hardest part was getting the old one out. No regrets.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I currently have the gibson dual exhaust but am really missing the clean look of the stock exhaust. Does anyone have a photo of their jeep with the afe high tuck muffler? Am considering switching but would like to see just how "tucked" it is.

47 Posts
I run the AFE High Tuck axle back. I got it cheap a couple of Black Friday's ago and love it. It is a high tuck so you don't see anything and I can finally hear the engine rev in order to shift by sound. I have a soft top and it does not drone nor is too loud.
Exhaust Systems Axle-Back MACH Force XP EXH 2.5in Axle-Back; Jeep Wrangler JK; 07-14 V6-3.6/3.8L 49-46219 - aFe Power

I got mine from Auto Anything in SS for about the price of what they want for the aluminized version now. I was lucky to grab it during a BF sale. I also believe AA priced it wrong when I ordered it because I paid less then $300 for the Mach Force SS system and now they have a Scorpion branded system that is aluminized for about $250. This is what I paid minus another 10% during BF sales taking me to $225. If you can get the SS version for under $300 I would do it. No regrets plus it well tucked up protecting it when off road. I just don't thing duals look right on a Jeep plus you run the risk of hanging them up on something when wheeling.

The only thing to complain about is the 409 SS will develop some surface rust where 304 will not. I finally experienced this on my system this winter after all the salt and chemical usage used around here fighting the Feb-Apr snowfalls. It cleaned up nicely and still looks good. I used some 3M scouring pads (course, medium, then fine) and finished with a coat of stainless steel sink polish (Hope's brand I believe) I picked up from Lowe's. Here's a little more info on stainless steel.
http://www.summitracing.com/expertadviceandnews/professoroverdrive/answer/3932

+1 on the AFE. I'll try to post a pic in the am.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Corsa is great on my jk. Loud when you get on it and subtle otherwise. I had a Pypes before that and wanted to blow my brains out because the drone was so bad. I have a manual and would have to take it out of overdrive and run a higher rpm to get rid of the drone. Worst mod I've ever done

47 Posts
Yeah thats really hidden, i will be going that route. Stupid question, ive seen there are two versions, the mach and the scorpion. Are the differences just the type of metal? Thanks for posting btw!
I believe one is aluminum and one is stainless, both high flow, high tuck, but I'm not an expert- probably should inquire with them before you buy. I have the Mach Force stainless axle back. If you install, you'll want two thin pry bars or a bar and a really long, stout screw driver to work the donuts off the hangers.

My stock muffler was dinged up, but I haven't touched this one although it did discolor a little, but I'm less concerned about the finish than clearance and sound/performance.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I believe one is aluminum and one is stainless, both high flow, high tuck, but I'm not an expert- probably should inquire with them before you buy. I have the Mach Force stainless axle back. If you install, you'll want two thin pry bars or a bar and a really long, stout screw driver to work the donuts off the hangers. My stock muffler was dinged up, but I haven't touched this one although it did discolor a little, but I'm less concerned about the finish than clearance and sound/performance.
Yeah those hangers are a pain in the ass, thanks again for the info.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts