Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:censored::rant:OK... I've done it all except swap out ECM/ECU... I have a brand new Power Torque 4.0L in-line 6cyl engine (500 miles). New transmission
AX-15 (500 miles). I also have recently replaced the following with brand new parts: plugs, wires, distributor, distributor cap, rotor bug, battery (red top), alternator, starter, fuel pump, fuel filter, and crank sensor. I have checked all fuses and relays and are all good.

I have been told the following could be wrong with it: ignition switch module, ecm/ecu, grounds, auto shutoff relay.

My 95' Wrangler YJ has had zero issues for the last 500 miles (since engine and trans swap). All of the sudden I pull in garage, and go to start next day and it would only crank and crank... uggghhhh. Popped hood, and saw that the positive winch wire was not connected to the battery. I hooked it up and BOOOOM, were off. She started right up.... Until the next day, I went to start again and crank and crank and crank... WTF!! Pop the hood, and look around again and found that the crank shaft sensor was loose. So I replaced it and tightened it up. All good right? NOPE! Just crank and crank and crank... I rerouted and examined all wires and grounds... All good...

I have fire, have fuel to the fuel rail, hear fuel pump kick on each time. the one issue I hear/see is each time I turn ignition on (just before I crank it), I hear/feel the auto shutoff relay activate. Why would auto shutoff relay keep tripping?

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
No... The ASD relay controls a great deal of the fuel and ignition system.

Check wiring to the ASD relay. In order for it to click, it needs power and ground. The PCM controls the ground. If you have a tripped ground, there could be a loose connection somewhere, bad PCM, or there is a sensor issue.

Replacing every single sensor with new is just about the worst thing you can do. The aftermarket sensors suck and 9/10 times the sensor you replace isn't the issue. Now you have a bunch of bad parts.

Pull the ASD relay. It is in parallel with the fuel pump relay. See if the fuel pump relay acts the same.

Also, what's your fuel PRESSURE? A push of the Schrader valve core doesn't really tell you anything. You need an actual number.

·
Registered
13,768 Posts
Yes you can temporarily replace the relay with a jumper to see if that lets it run

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Yes you can temporarily replace the relay with a jumper to see if that lets it run

That wouldn't work considering the ground is pulsed. It might sound like it's going to start but it won't run.

·
Registered
13,768 Posts
Yes it would you just jump the power in to the power out and ignore the terminals for the coil magnet

Simple jumper acts just like closed relay

·
Registered
732 Posts
You can jumper the ASD..... I done it many times.. Hell you can take the cover off it and wedge a toothpick in to push the contact over......... I had no wire or jumper with me and That worked......... The relay was triggering and would not hold over..

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Never worked for me. Probably because I didn't prime the fuel pump relay as well. Which has been left out, I assume you'll have to jump both relays assuming it's the ground that's missing. Either way, there isn't much of a point to jumping it, unless you're really in a pinch? For diagnostic purposes you can simply use a NOID or test light to see the power or ground is missing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts