Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We did Saran Wrap on Sunday and my rig went everywhere effortlessly. However, I took one of the harder lines and knocked my steering wheel out of whack. On the way home it was upside down.

Today, I wrenched on it to get the steering wheel back to right side up. I may have turned the cuff on the drag link the wrong way to get the steering wheel corrected though... Now, I have limited right turn radius.

Any one else had this problem? Would I just need to turn the cuff the other way?

Let me know.

:atomic:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm also pulling code C1219 - Steering Angle Sensor Erratic Performance which is clearly tied to the steering problem.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Sounds like you bent something pretty good....did you find any damage under there? Bent tie rod or drag link I suspect. Can you take a good, well lit, picture straight on and post it up?

And seriously...a steering angle sensor? These JK's have gone to far....:D

Most importantly, is the trail completely clear of snow?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like you bent something pretty good....did you find any damage under there? Bent tie rod or drag link I suspect. Can you take a good, well lit, picture straight on and post it up?

And seriously...a steering angle sensor? These JK's have gone to far....:D

Most importantly, is the trail completely clear of snow?

The trail is 97% clear. The snow wasn't an issue though. The trails and rocks were a bit slick though. I'll get some pics posted ASAP.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Cool. I'm in Parker off of Hilltop Rd. and Merryvale Trail if you want to come over and have me take a look at it. I'll be wrenching on cars all day anyway.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool. I'm in Parker off of Hilltop Rd. and Merryvale Trail if you want to come over and have me take a look at it. I'll be wrenching on cars all day anyway.
I'm over in Castle Rock and would have taken you up on this had I seen it earlier.
I fixed the steering radius part. I had turned the cuff the wrong way. I thought the wheel hadn't turned that much so took the easy route which turned out to be wrong.
Now I have a new question. Is the pitman arm supposed to be straight back and forward with the two bolts in line or is the picture below okay?

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Here's the drag link pic and a few other pics. The traction warning light hasn't come back on after a couple test drives so I cleared it and we'll see if it come back anytime soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I know the TJ pitman arms are slightly off center when the wheels are pointed straight. Not sure about JK's with their curved PA. I don't see anything that sticks out to me as bad damage although in the one pic it looks like the tie rod has a slight bend by the diff cover. Not sure if that is normal for a JK or if it is just the way the pic was taken.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know the TJ pitman arms are slightly off center when the wheels are pointed straight. Not sure about JK's with their curved PA. I don't see anything that sticks out to me as bad damage although in the one pic it looks like the tie rod has a slight bend by the diff cover. Not sure if that is normal for a JK or if it is just the way the pic was taken.
The JK track bar is built that way. I didn't think I saw too much damage either but took it to the shop this morning and their replacing the upper and lower track bar and the drag link. I noticed oil from the rear differential in the garage this morning too so I'm having them fix the damage there too.

Time for new under Armour!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts