Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My automatic 3 speed transmission does not want to shift into 2nd or 3rd gear. It only stays in 1st! I checked for codes and it only shows that I need a speed censor. But I been having that ever since I got the jeep months ago. I checked the trans fluid, fuses. I can put it on park, neutral, and reverse with no issues. It responds right away and never previously had signs of a bad transmission. Help me please I don't know what to do, this issue barely started yesterday in the 1st day of cold morning in Texas :(

·
Registered
144 Posts
So have you looked into changing the speed sensor? I don't have an automatic, but I'd assume there's some kind of sensor telling it when to shift.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
I never bothered changing it but maybe I should. Its the only code but the weird thing is that I always had that code and the jeep always drove fine for months till yesterday. My jeep does not mark my MPH in the dash though. It never has nor does it mark the miles I drive.
Maybe the computer?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So have you looked into changing the speed sensor? I don't have an automatic, but I'd assume there's some kind of sensor telling it when to shift.

I never bothered changing it but maybe I should. Its the only code but the weird thing is that I always had that code and the jeep always drove fine for months till yesterday. My jeep does not mark my MPH in the dash though. It never has nor does it mark the miles I drive.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I would fix the grill first you might get mistaken for owning a JK

·
Premium Member
7,274 Posts
The good thing about that grille is it should be an overlay with the real TJ grille hidden behind it. Unlike the JK, the TJ "angry birds" don't replace the real Jeep grille they just hind it. Use a heat gun on a warm day if you want to remove it as it should only be on with DS stickty tape.

Reactions: jonlandrum and Csar

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The good thing about that grille is it should be an overlay with the real TJ grille hidden behind it. Unlike the JK, the TJ "angry birds" don't replace the real Jeep grille they just hind it. Use a heat gun on a warm day if you want to remove it as it should only be on with DS stickty tape.
Thanks for the tip 😁

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Reactions: jonlandrum and Csar

·
Premium Member
7,274 Posts
Both the JK and JL grilles are wider than the TJ grille by a good bit (so are the vehicles). I believe the official measurement shows the interior of the JK/JL is about 4" wider than the TJ. On the plus side the front parking/turn signal bulbs will fit the JK. Not much else will. The wheels won't even bolt on directly from one to another. The only tires for a JK that will fit a TJ will go on a Rubicon wheel (TJ Rubicons and base no frills JK Sport both have 16" wheels. With the JL there are no 16" wheels from the factory. Change, change and more change.

To show where my two Jeeps stand ('03 Rubicon and '17 Chief) the Rubi is in the garage, the Chief is not.

Reactions: Csar

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Both the JK and JL grilles are wider than the TJ grille by a good bit (so are the vehicles). I believe the official measurement shows the interior of the JK/JL is about 4" wider than the TJ. On the plus side the front parking/turn signal bulbs will fit the JK. Not much else will. The wheels won't even bolt on directly from one to another. The only tires for a JK that will fit a TJ will go on a Rubicon wheel (TJ Rubicons and base no frills JK Sport both have 16" wheels. With the JL there are no 16" wheels from the factory. Change, change and more change.

To show where my two Jeeps stand ('03 Rubicon and '17 Chief) the Rubi is in the garage, the Chief is not.
Wow thats good stuff to know, thank you!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Its a Jeep TJ 1999 Sport 6 cylinder automatic View attachment 4459158
Dern she fine as hell whoo. I say have a reputable tranny guy have a look. Good to have someone you trust that you know, should you ever really need their help. My assumption is it is something small. But you never know. I've been scared to death I needed a transmission overhaul many times and was wrong each time. You'd be surprised what weird things a vehicle will do that isn't running right. A faulty ground, a sensor, any number of small easily fixable problems can cause a tranny to go in limp mode.
Most recently my 97 4runner would have to scream to shift gears. And simultaneously was running like complete crap. With 275k on the odometer, an engine or transmission overhaul wouldn't be out of the question.
Turns out, after 4 months of diagnostic, with no cel codes, changing 1500 dollars in parts back to Toyota oem (line by line checking things off)... the idle air control valve was faulty. I put in a new oem a.i.c and the 4runner is back to kicking ass again.
I was fearing 3000-4500 to either swap the trans or rebuild the motor. It needed none of that.
But man was I scared. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 43 Posts