Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 wrangler 4 cyliner auto transmission. My wife was driving it and she said it sounded like it back fired and then died. She tried to start it and nothting. We towed it home and the following codes came up.
P0202 cylinder 2 injector circuit
P0340 camshaft position sensor circuit malfunction
P0302 cylinder 2 misfire detected

P0202 - got this a few months back and there was a kink in the wire and it would blow a fuse. fixed it and started right up. doesn't blow fuse this time and wire look fine.
P0340 - auto store does not have a camshaft position sensor for 1999 jeep wrangler. So does it mean something else.
P0302 - I figure I got this because of the cylinder 2 injector circuit.

Jeep turns over just fine but will not start. fuel pump is working. Does anyone have any ideas? I am try to fix this myself. Thank you very much for the help.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok it's my timing belt. Was gonna take off oil pan to clean out so was taking off starter and rounded off a bolt. Does anybody know how to get the bolt out please.

Auto part Metal

·
Registered
44 Posts
thorn4570 said:
Ok it's my timing belt. Was gonna take off oil pan to clean out so was taking off starter and rounded off a bolt. Does anybody know how to get the bolt out please.
I have a set of think they called twist off sockets just for this situation , work really good got a set at sears for about 40 best 40 ever spent

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have a weird pair of vice grips that I use for rounded bolts. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a link to the product or not because I am new to this forum. I'll PM you the link to the picture.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tried several things and was about to cut it off and tried one more from sears and worked like a charm

Screw Metal

Can I go buy bolts for the starter from Home Depot or do I need a special kind of bolt?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was the timing chain. Sheared two bolts off bent the chain tensioner and cracked the cover. The chain fell out in pieces. Everything else looked good. Finished putting new chain and sprockets on today and it runs like a new one.

·
Registered
673 Posts
It was the timing chain. Sheared two bolts off bent the chain tensioner and cracked the cover. The chain fell out in pieces. Everything else looked good. Finished putting new chain and sprockets on today and it runs like a new one.
I'd do a compression test, just to make sure the valves didn't take a hit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts