Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 4.0 TJ with a brand new reman ax-15, and a "rebuilt" 231 t-case with a teraflex SYE.

heres whats wrong:
the transfer case wouldnt shift into 4 lo. it just sits there and grinds, AND neutral is 2 hi ... by this i mean - when the shifter is in the 2 hi position, i am fine and in 2 hi like i should be. then 4 hi, same deal - its all good. but when i continue to pull up into neutral, its not in neutral - its like im in a second 2 hi. and then if i continue to pull all the way into 4 lo its just a grind monster.

so to fix it, I got a Novak cable shifter. I figured that since we did an engine swap and things might not be lined up right, it was probably just a problem with the improper geometry of the shifter linkage binding up. My dad and i installed the novak cable shifter tonight. we followed the directions to the word. bottomed out 2 hi, and made sure its adjusted right to shift through the gears.

still has THE SAME problems. i thought for sure that the cable shifter would fix it. im so frustrated with the stupid thing right now. im starting to worry that theres a problem with the transfer case...

can anyone shed some light please?

thanks a lot!
Patrick

·
Registered
755 Posts
Does your shifter sit flat when In 2hi? Post a pic of it in 2hi.

Did you check to see if it can go into 4lo when the cable is not connected to the TC shift shaft?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the instructions said to make sure it was in 2 hi before hooking it up...

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
all I know is how I did mine and it works. Best improvement by far for so little money.
and btw, theoretically, as long as you make sure you are in 2 hi, it should work, but sounds like to me it is off somehow. That is why I said to put all the way into 4lo. The paddle can't go any farther than that. good luck.
oh and went back and read your original. I have an automatic but that shouldn't make a difference on linkage other than the bracket is different.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts