Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing the Brawler rockers, and the instructions specifically call to be careful not to drill through the inner body panels (for nutserts). 8 of 11 holes were fine, however I'm having issues with the remaining 3 (2 in the front and 1 in the rear): the inner panel is less than 1/2 inch behind the outer panel, and I see no way to insert nutserts there (see the pictures below). I'm literally hitting the wall!

The jeep is 2017. Did something change around that model year? Any suggestions beyond just drilling through?

I tried to carefully start setting nutserts while pushing on them in hopes that as they mushroom they would move in. Unfortunately they start mushrooming in front of the outer panel, not behind it.

Has anybody had this issue before? :pullinghair:

Attachments

·
Registered
823 Posts
U can shorten the nutcert a bit that should give you enough room to install. I have an 08 so no idea about the spacing/if there is a difference in years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
823 Posts
You could relieve some space to the inner panel with a 1/4" extension and a hammer/push the inner panel in a bit

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could relieve some space to the inner panel with a 1/4" extension and a hammer/push the inner panel in a bit

Called PS customer service today, and they suggested the same thing: indenting the inner panel.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found some time to finish it. When I called PS to ask about the inner panel and mentioned that I ruined a few rivnuts, they gladly sent me a replacement hardware pack. That was very nice of them!

BTW, their rubber liners seem like a better alternative to RTV sealant if you are concerned about sand getting between the rockers and the body, and they are being discontinued. PS said they have about 40 remaining and are not making any more.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts